Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Time for change
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Turbonetics T62-1 I BELEIVE a.. P trim? its got a .81 A/R Exhaust side.

Now, I know turbonetic makes a pretty darn good turbo. But I'm wondering if there are other turbo manufacturers out there, that have a more advanced housing, compressor blades, exducer blades etc etc...

I honestly am not very well versed when it comes to import turbo manufacturers.

Could anyone give me some good comparisons and contrasting view points? I know a lot of people on here use everything but Turbonetics.
 

·
Time for change
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kinda looking for a turbo that was technically superior, not nessicarily cheaper.

IE a GT blah blah will spool 300 rpm faster, but flow a little more. etc etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Precision turbos from what I have seen make slightly more power and better spool than other brands of the same size. T63E (63mm~690WHP)or PT-61(61mm~680WHP) would be good alternative to that turbo...

Garrett's GT35R is a good turbo too.

HKS TO4Z is the latest from HKS promising good spool with Dual Ball Bearing and the latest anti-surge housing good for about ~700WHP last I heard. Probably spools around 4200rpm. HKS usually has the best quality parts. You pay for it though. Technically this one is better than your turbo.

SP64 is proven powerhouse with shop backing behind it.


You can't really go wrong with the latest from the best manufacturers.

http://www.inductionmotorsports.com/index.html?turbos.html
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
SUPRAT said:
Precision turbos from what I have seen make slightly more power and better spool than other brands of the same size. T63E (63mm~690WHP)or PT-61(61mm~680WHP) would be good alternative to that turbo...

Garrett's GT35R is a good turbo too.

HKS TO4Z is the latest from HKS promising good spool with Dual Ball Bearing and the latest anti-surge housing good for about ~700WHP last I heard. Probably spools around 4200rpm. HKS usually has the best quality parts. You pay for it though. Technically this one is better than your turbo.

SP64 is proven powerhouse with shop backing behind it.


You can't really go wrong with the latest from the best manufacturers.

http://www.inductionmotorsports.com/index.html?turbos.html

Your numbers are a bit on the high side... 680whp is definitely on the high side for a 61...most 61's aim to hit 600 with a decent tune. Sure anything is possible, but you're 'way off the map'

...the compressor map that is...

HKS, SP, Precision, whoever (turbonetics as well) all use Garrett wheels. Just some wheels are specific to those companies. The GT42, PT76 and T51R SPL from HKS are all nearly the same things. all 102mm compressor wheels with 76mm inducers (the GT42 has two trim options for the 102mm comp. wheel)

Other wheels like the PT71 are probably off of some random indescript Garrett wheel meant for a catepillar like a tv41 or something. Or it could be something that precision had them build. PT71-GTQ is an excellent turbo that you can pretty much only get from precision.

Anyways, enough of my rambling about that.

The turbo you have is called a 62-1, not a T series, In turbonetics-speak, your turbo exists in a small subset called the 60-series turbos. This subset includes the 60-1, the 62-1 (supposed to flow an extra 10 percent over the 60), and the 68-1. All pretty decent turbos...work horses for the last 2-3 decades technology wise. Nothing particularily bad about them...lots of options lots of ways to customize them, price tag is a bit high for turbonetics product IMO but that is due to a variety of reasons.

[Rant]

I believe the last 62-1 I ordered I had to pay out the ass for it because I got a big-shaft option and needed to get a special back plate and center cartridge, I got the polished compressor cover and I was trying to wait for the Tang. .58 a/r but they were backordered for like 6 months.

[/Rant]

The precision stuff is good like a PT61 or PT63...they come standard with the same P-trim wheel you have I believe. Normally the trims are either 76 or 69. IMO I believe that either of those compressors will probably be a bit more effiicent than what you have now (more power potential), but to be honest I'd have to look at the compressor maps.

I've heard ITS makes some good products as well, although I haven't dealt with them personally. I believe their 61 has been kicking a decent amount of ass.

Turbonetics themselves also sell a T series turbo about the same size as what you have, the T61, next up after that is a T64. I believe every single turbonetics turbo is available with ball bearing if you want to pay extra for it.

As for Garrett GT series turbos, you're looking at about a GT35R. Difference is, the 35R is a T3 inlet on the turbine side. It's extremely expensive (18-1900) but it's an excellent turbo. 61.5mm inducer IIRC ball bearing, 68mm turbine, extremely aggressive, and has some good a/rs available (sometimes they are hard to find, but they exist trust me ;))

After that you have the GT40, which I believe uses something close to a standard T4 inlet flange, two trims available...one with a 60ish mm compressor, the other with a 64.5mm compressor. 77mm turbine...excellent choice IMO.

There are tons of turbos my friend. It's all up to what YOU want your car to do.

Regards,

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
LYTLdiablo said:
Your numbers are a bit on the high side... 680whp is definitely on the high side for a 61...most 61's aim to hit 600 with a decent tune. Sure anything is possible, but you're 'way off the map'

...the compressor map that is...

HKS, SP, Precision, whoever (turbonetics as well) all use Garrett wheels. Just some wheels are specific to those companies. The GT42, PT76 and T51R SPL from HKS are all nearly the same things. all 102mm compressor wheels with 76mm inducers (the GT42 has two trim options for the 102mm comp. wheel)

Other wheels like the PT71 are probably off of some random indescript Garrett wheel meant for a catepillar like a tv41 or something. Or it could be something that precision had them build. PT71-GTQ is an excellent turbo that you can pretty much only get from precision.

Anyways, enough of my rambling about that.

The turbo you have is called a 62-1, not a T series, In turbonetics-speak, your turbo exists in a small subset called the 60-series turbos. This subset includes the 60-1, the 62-1 (supposed to flow an extra 10 percent over the 60), and the 68-1. All pretty decent turbos...work horses for the last 2-3 decades technology wise. Nothing particularily bad about them...lots of options lots of ways to customize them, price tag is a bit high for turbonetics product IMO but that is due to a variety of reasons.

[Rant]

I believe the last 62-1 I ordered I had to pay out the ass for it because I got a big-shaft option and needed to get a special back plate and center cartridge, I got the polished compressor cover and I was trying to wait for the Tang. .58 a/r but they were backordered for like 6 months.

[/Rant]

The precision stuff is good like a PT61 or PT63...they come standard with the same P-trim wheel you have I believe. Normally the trims are either 76 or 69. IMO I believe that either of those compressors will probably be a bit more effiicent than what you have now (more power potential), but to be honest I'd have to look at the compressor maps.

I've heard ITS makes some good products as well, although I haven't dealt with them personally. I believe their 61 has been kicking a decent amount of ass.

Turbonetics themselves also sell a T series turbo about the same size as what you have, the T61, next up after that is a T64. I believe every single turbonetics turbo is available with ball bearing if you want to pay extra for it.

As for Garrett GT series turbos, you're looking at about a GT35R. Difference is, the 35R is a T3 inlet on the turbine side. It's extremely expensive (18-1900) but it's an excellent turbo. 61.5mm inducer IIRC ball bearing, 68mm turbine, extremely aggressive, and has some good a/rs available (sometimes they are hard to find, but they exist trust me ;))

After that you have the GT40, which I believe uses something close to a standard T4 inlet flange, two trims available...one with a 60ish mm compressor, the other with a 64.5mm compressor. 77mm turbine...excellent choice IMO.

There are tons of turbos my friend. It's all up to what YOU want your car to do.

Regards,

Mark
Your'e right on mark-but actualy I got the numbers right off precision's website.
btw the ITS is what I was basing the comment of precision's turbos are "slightly" more efficient and make more power than same size turbo from another maker. I meant to say HP not WHP. sorry.

I have seen Dana W. from VW Racing go from a ITS 80 to a Precision 76GTS and make more power with the Precision. May have been tune and setup though.
 

·
***ified?
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
gt35r's arent that expensive - some vendors list their prices at 1250.......
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
SUPRAT said:
Precision turbos from what I have seen make slightly more power and better spool than other brands of the same size. T63E (63mm~690WHP)or PT-61(61mm~680WHP) would be good alternative to that turbo...

Garrett's GT35R is a good turbo too.

HKS TO4Z is the latest from HKS promising good spool with Dual Ball Bearing and the latest anti-surge housing good for about ~700WHP last I heard. Probably spools around 4200rpm. HKS usually has the best quality parts. You pay for it though. Technically this one is better than your turbo.

SP64 is proven powerhouse with shop backing behind it.


You can't really go wrong with the latest from the best manufacturers.

http://www.inductionmotorsports.com/index.html?turbos.html
I agree these numbers are way off. Even with cams, both of those turbos horsepower numbers you listed are about 100rwhp too high.

If you want a guaranteed 700rwhp you need at least a 72mm turbo. Without that size it would take AEM, 272's, and maybe even a shot.

Example, I made 643rwhp on a 67 mm with 264 Cams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
braddman said:
I agree these numbers are way off. Even with cams, both of those turbos horsepower numbers you listed are about 100rwhp too high.

If you want a guaranteed 700rwhp you need at least a 72mm turbo. Without that size it would take AEM, 272's, and maybe even a shot.

Example, I made 643rwhp on a 67 mm with 264 Cams.
Maybe precision bases the numbers off a bigger displacement motor than ours to quote figures.

:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Im pretty sure they are crank horsepower numbers on the website. Like the PT76 is rated at 1100hp, if you look at some of the people on T04R that run it they end up with like 1098 estimated crank hp and 900ish wheel hp.....sounds about right to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
braddman said:
I agree these numbers are way off. Even with cams, both of those turbos horsepower numbers you listed are about 100rwhp too high.

If you want a guaranteed 700rwhp you need at least a 72mm turbo. Without that size it would take AEM, 272's, and maybe even a shot.

Example, I made 643rwhp on a 67 mm with 264 Cams.
I made 814 with a T72 (stock block with 264s). It was at altitude so the numbers may have been inflated a little but it was about 700 actual anyway. So, maybe 750-800 at sea level [shrug]. Not a big deal either way.

Mark,
You have nearly everything right. You did forget about the GT4294 though.....67mm inlet (52trim).

The GT40 you mentioned is available in journal bearing with a 54trim (64.7mm) inlet and bb with a 56trim (older) or 52trim (new/63.5mm inlet). I agree with you...this is a great turbo. I'm still putting the car together with one of these...looking forward to it.

The GT35 does use a T3 flange, but I believe Precision makes a turbine housing for it that has a T4 inlet.

On with the comparisons....

Daniel
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top