Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to repair the speed sensor? My speed sensor comes on and off sometimes when driving, sometime I am able to use cruse control and other times not..

Thanks in adavance..

M

·
0 Posts
You can replace it, it's mounted on your transmission, passenger side towards the back. This sounds like a loose connection tho, crawl under there and make sure the VSS plug is securely on, and that the wiring is not damaged. Hope this helps.

M

·
0 Posts
Yes, you can test the sensor using Multimeter. It's all in the Toyota Service Manual, you gotta measure the resistance and if the unit is withing certain specs, it's considered good. Otherwise, you'd need another sensor. Should be a piece of cake to test and/or replace. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The speed out put to the ecm and cruse control comes from the odometer , If the odometer sill works when the light is flashing the vss is more than likely ok and it is the output from the odometer that is the problem , I know this becouse mine went bad.
When the light would flash i could tap on the odometer and the light would go out and my cruse would start working.
Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i check the speed sensor and it looks good. I do notice that the odometer stops when the curse control stops working. But the funny thing is i don't get a flashing light or anyting like that. so malfunction sensor light. Any other suggestion?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the same problem.

Im not sure in my case its the Odo tho... as my odo never has problems, never cuts out, and tapping it wont make cruise work.

I also replaced one of the speed sensors on the transmission, no change.

I also have a 'studdering' problem very rarely. Ie. lets say i punch it in 2nd gear and lose traction... sometimes (rarely) the car will hit a false rev limiter at say, 5000 RPM's... this is VERY annoying and happens during street races sometimes.

Anybody have this happen?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Remove the upper part of the dash the part the odometer is in and drive the car and wiggle the connetor on the back of the odometer and see if the cruse starts to work, It took me hours to find mine was bad , But if your odometer stops working the only thing it can be is the VSS or the wiring from the VSS to the odometer , I checked the wiring diagram for the VSS and it goes to the odometer and then to the ECM and Cruse so it is in that aera somewhere. My OD light used to flash on my car when i had the problem,

Good luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a used speed sensor for sale (or i could take out the new one that i purchased, its got about 600 miles on it)

I replaced mine hoping this would fix it, and it did not.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same exact problem, and I have replaced both speed sensors and no luck. So I guess the odometer is next, but what happen to the miles, do you start from "0" again if you replace the odometer?

thanks
ldc

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you by a new odometer from toyota it is at 0 !

J

·
0 Posts
My malfunction indicator and warning light comes on after a while driving (93 NA). Sometimes I can drive for an hour before it comes on. The lights do not flash, and never go off until I restart the car. I also have error code 42, and have replaced the speed sensor. It will always come on if I accelerate hard, but sometimes it comes on when driving like a 70 year old. It has been in the shop at 3 different times and we havent found the issue. Any Ideas?
J

·
Number three Hardtopper
585 Posts
No when you buy an odometer Toyota put the mileage to the same as your old one. You will have to show a current record of the mileage on your car at the time you order a odometer.

How easy is it to remove the VSS? I know its just one bolt but is it easy to remove while the trans is in? It looks like there is only a little room to work in.

S

·
0 Posts
why dont you all save yourself some money.

if your speedometer and tachometer is working .. then you know your speed sensor is good.

all you have to do is take out your odometer and run a jumper from pin 5 to pin 6. Better yet. open up you odometer and resolder all the lil points in it.

to clear things up ..

speedsensor signal goes to the tach and speed , the speedsensor goes from the speedometer to the odometer and then back to the ecu to control like 4 diff things, being cruise control one of them.

1,442 Posts
I am having the same problem. Supradoopa are you positive its the pins on the odometer? The inside on mine looked fine so I thought it was the female connectors in the harness. I am just curious what yours looked like before you did any soldering and if it looked fine did it fix it after soldering.

S

·
0 Posts
ok click here and you will know what i am talking about!!!!!

odometer fix

basically you wanna jump pin 5 to pin 6. open up your odometer and solder a wire from pin 5 to pin 6. As you can see pin 5 is the signal from the speedometer and pin 6 is the output to the Ecu , which controls the cruise control and so fourth. basically if you ecu doesnt see the signal that comes from the speedometer , your cruise control will not work.

msg me if you want anymore info.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi Ya'll,
For people who are getting error code 42 and not having their cruise control not working i may have another answer.....
I have a feeling that my odo has been tampered with (the k's are too low for a 93 supra anyway..) i have read on the forums that you can bridge pins 5 and 6 to fix this issue.. My odo has a surface mount resistor that runs from pin 6 snapped in half (one half missing, the other half twisted 90 degrees on the circuit board) I havent connected it yet (as i dont know the value of the resistor R105) but i am sure based on what other people have been saying that this will fix my issue! I'll let you know when i get the resistor value...

Cheers,

PhatBeetz

D

·
0 Posts
supradoopa said:
ok click here and you will know what i am talking about!!!!!

odometer fix

basically you wanna jump pin 5 to pin 6. open up your odometer and solder a wire from pin 5 to pin 6. As you can see pin 5 is the signal from the speedometer and pin 6 is the output to the Ecu , which controls the cruise control and so fourth. basically if you ecu doesnt see the signal that comes from the speedometer , your cruise control will not work.

msg me if you want anymore info.
Good man. I just wrote a 3 page faq on this problem and the steps to cure it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts