Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got a stupid speeding ticket in Cornwall on my way home from a weekend in Montreal... the shit part is i'm from Toronto area and I want to take it to court cause the cop was a dick, I was on the 401 and had just been passed by a pack of cars doing well over 140 and he pulls me over!!!! i was doing around 120, he tells me I was doing 137 and then comes back with a ticket for doing 127 in a 100 zone...

Anyway I contacted a parallegal in the area and he wants $800 to represent me which I think is stupid... anyone even been in this situation that can possibly reccommend someone in that area to represent me? I sure in hell dont want to drive 5 hours to go to court so any help is appreciated..

Thanks

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,150 Posts
I think you where eaither doing 137, or you needed to ask for a slip form him to prove that you where doign 127. I paied 450 for someone to represent me.

Eaither way fight as much as you can.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The Judges up that way aren't particularly keen to let speeding go. I know of very few that had their tickets even reduced, forget about wiped. They view it as extra income to suppliment the town coffers.

Minor mistakes in writing up a ticket are no longer reasonable defences here either. Has to be a pretty substantial error for a judge to toss them anymore.

·
Twin-Turbos 2X the Proble
806 Posts
Take it to court. They have a new thing called "early resolution date" they'll offer you like 10kph off, so like a 117 in 100 which is like 50$, just do that. You don't have to see a judge or anything.

K

·
0 Posts
Tuff luck. My 2 cents...

First off, Cornwall is well known for cops. You can go as fast as you want Toronto to Montreal, but you have to do the speed limit in Cornwall!

Secondly, take it to court, and don't hire anyone to fight it. Fight it yourself. All the guy will do it get it reduced one level. And I'll bet any money that you can to do the same job and save yourself $800 bucks. A drive to Cornwall and back is well worth saving $800. Just think of something clever, but not too crazy and they'll reduce it.

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
If you think you can get the ticket completely thrown out by going to court, it is worth your trouble to drive down there. This reduced by "one level" crap is worthless.

If you are planning on going to get it reduced, it makes no sense. You might save a few bucks, but in the end your driving record is really un-changed.

Just so you know the insurance company does not differentiate between a 1 - 49 Km/h over ticket... they all appear on your policy as a minor violation. a 50+ over is a major violation. The de-merit point system has nothing at all todo with the insurance system, and these days I think it is the insurance you have to worry about.

I would never pay $800 thou. Try to find a local cornwall lawyer on yellowpages.ca

Good Luck.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
was everyone else doing roughly the same speed, if they were couldnt you say you didnt want to impede the flow of traffic. I dont know if it will help any but it might reduce it alittle? lol you should bull shit them and say your accelerator got stuck :lol: but if they found out you would be in pretty deep shit

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Remember, if the cop doesnt show up in court the violation is forgiven. So...
What i would do is get the name of the cop (from the ticket) look up his adress in the yellow pages. Then have one of your buddies come to his place on the court date, and make him not show up.. Use or imagination on how to do this!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kingsoup said:
Take it to court. They have a new thing called "early resolution date" they'll offer you like 10kph off, so like a 117 in 100 which is like 50$, just do that. You don't have to see a judge or anything.
Damm this is actually true, They're gonna send me a settlement offer in the mail, this should be interesting... they make a court date and if you choose not to accept it you can go to court, if not they handle it for you...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts