Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas.
I have one issue here. Since some weeks my ECU has the code for the speed sensor. Also from time to time the speedo drops to zero and can be "reactivated" by sqeezing the odo section at the dash. Ok, so the well known cold solder point I guessed and re-welded all spots up there..I even made a bridge from pin 5 to 6. Reseted the ECU and..guess what.. code was coming back after around 30mls of driving. So I even connected the cables to the pins 5 and 6 directly together. Now the code stays away longer but latest after 80mls of driving it will turn back on together with the TRAC light (what is usual as far as I know). Also the speedo drops still to zero from time to time and can be reactivated by the above mentioned sqeeze at the odo section.
What can this be??? PLEASE HELP CAUSE THIS SUCKS! I don´t know.... DO I need a new odo section?
THX for helping me guys.
Gerd

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guy, no one can help me out on this? C´mon please..
Thanks
Gerd

·
Registered
226 Posts
Gerd,

Sounds like you may need to replace the odometer. If you'd like to absolutely rule out the speed sensor, Curt can help you out with how to test it if you don't have a service manual. It doesn't sound like that's your problem though. My odometer is on it's last legs as well. I've also taken it out and tried resoldering to repair any cold joints. This worked for a while but I noticed that there were some bad traces on the odometer circuit board itself too. Since I'm not a big fan of the splicing method I'm just going to conclude that it's simply worn out and replace my odometer in the near future. Curt will tell you what info he needs if you'd like to go that route.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think so too but the only weird thing is that even splicing the pin 5 and 6 together doesn´t eliminate the problem.. Is that normal?
Has anyone a rough feeling about the cost of the odo section and is the mileage reprogrammable or do I start from the scratch with it?
Gerd

·
Registered
226 Posts
You can try taking a look at this thread that Michaelvanle posted about his speedo problem and see if your speed sensor may be faulty too. Don't know if this is part of the problem with your car though. The fact that it works when you squeeze the dash near the odometer is the key I think. There are also a couple of posts in there about the splicing method. If you get a new odometer from Curt you will have to send him some proof of mileage so that the new odometer can be programmed with your current mileage. The new unit is a bit pricey thoough, it costs around $300.00 :tear:

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ups, that´s in deed kinda pricey:(
The thing is that it´s very rare that the speedo drops to zero.. But the CEL (and TRAC) light are coming on, even if the speedo is working. A lil reset of the ECU is taking it for a further 80mls or so...
This really sucks.
And thanks a lot for your appreciated feedback!:)
Gerd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts