Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedo is dead for like a year now. One day it just stop and I dont know why. But today, I put in a new battery and I drove it for awhile. than it started working again. But when I turn off the engine and let it rest for awhile. Its dead again and now its dead. What could be the problem that causes this?

·
Registered
934 Posts
chia7chang said:
My speedo is dead for like a year now. One day it just stop and I dont know why. But today, I put in a new battery and I drove it for awhile. than it started working again. But when I turn off the engine and let it rest for awhile. Its dead again and now its dead. What could be the problem that causes this?

Hey man, this has been covered many times. Search Speedometer and you shall find what your looking for.
But for a heads up, the entire speedometer system is mechanical and has no ELECTRICAL parts to it. Its just several "speedo-cable" connections. They differ if you are automatic/manual. You gotta figure out which cable piece is bad or if any is bad. It may be the gear in the transmission, or your a fault speedometer on your guage cluster. I would check the cables first as they tend to go.

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Indeed; more often than not, fortunately, its the easy cable to get to. My old AE88 had that problem where it randomly went out one day...the speedo and odo wouldnt work unless you gave it some serious throttle at 70mph+ and even then it would only jump up to 20 mph.

Put a new tranny in it and bolted it back in, its been working fine ever since. Chances are its NOT the tranny though. Check your tranny oil and speedo gear connection

1 - 3 of 3 Posts