Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Today I received my lower speedometer cable in the mail. I went to take off my old one (which was broken about two inches off the transmission; my problems start here. With a pair of vice grips I got it unstuck off the transmission, it was on TIGHT. No damaged threads or anything, Onto the connecting piece for the lower and upper cable. I use a 12mm wrench (as I found in a general how to guide on the forums) and vise grips over the thumb screw part. It wouldn't budge so liberally applied penetrating fluid. Waited 15-20 minutes and tried again; this time applying more force I actually broke the thumb screw part off the upper cable. Sheared it off clean at the point where the plastic connects to the metal. Few choice words later I install the new cable and line it up. I use some zip ties to hold the pieces together somewhat. The speedometer and trip work, except the speedometer is not jumping and pulsing between 10km/h above or below my speed. I figure this is due to the two cables actually moving up and down and side to side individually. Makes sense. Problem I now encounter is I would like to salvage the upper cable has anyone ever made an adapter while in this situation?

Edit: I have the old lower cable in a bench vise and still cannot remove that damn screw off piece.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just did this job a couple weeks back. Bought both pieces from driftmotion. Only the short cable was worn on mine. The little bit that goes into the tranny was so worn it wouldn't spin and when i tried taking the short and long piece apart I broke it so I replaced the whole thing. Worst part of the job is trying to fish it through the hole behind the engine. I took a coat hanger and wrapped it around the cable and fished it through and tugged on it from inside the car. Took me about an hour and a half. Not too bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts