Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My speedometer was going epileptic. I tried some of the posted fixes to lube it up but they didn't work too well.

So I tried this and it's been good for 2 weeks now.

tools needed:

-syringe ( I used an ink jet printer refill syringe)
-drill and bit about 1/8"
-oil ( I used 20/50 motor oil, but gear oil would probably be better)

Take out instrument panel and unclip the speedometer cable from it's bracket.

Put some rags or towels under the cable.

Drill a hole into the black cable tube housing, big enough to let the tip of the syringe fit inside the cable. Put hole as high as possible on the cable tube

Fill the syringe with oil, then slowly inject the oil into the hole. Some oil will spill out, that's why rags were placed down before.

I put 2 tubes of oil in it and it works good. i figure the cable would break anyway so there wasn't much to lose.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Since you already have everything off why not just replace the cable?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because to replace the cable cost $90 and take 5 hours of greasy work.

This is basicly free and take 45 minutes

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
5 hours of greasy work? you own a supra and your scared to get dirty? haha. that's funny.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SoupedUpSupra said:
I can replace the speedometer cable in 30 minutes.
How long does it take you to make $90------30 minutes?

·
I live in a giant bucket.
1,237 Posts
m22rockcrusher said:
How long does it take you to make $90------30 minutes?
yes. that is why i drive a mk3 instead of a BMW.

I was pointing out that your figure of 5 hours or whatever is ridiculous. For what you described to do, you have to basically take the speedometer cable out anyways. if it takes you 2 hours from the point of having the gauge cluster out to unscrew the cable from the transmission, you are most likely handicapped.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why ru guys flaming you assholes, the guy is trying help us poor people with a quick fix. My speedo is dead, I got a 1989 Supra Turbo. 250RWHP/270RWTQ. How do you take out the guage cluster? Does the front panel have to come off?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
haroot said:
Why ru guys flaming you assholes, the guy is trying help us poor people with a quick fix. My speedo is dead, I got a 1989 Supra Turbo. 250RWHP/270RWTQ. How do you take out the guage cluster? Does the front panel have to come off?
lol, even a chimpanzee can do that job ;) pull off the center trim bezel, and the bezel with the foglight switches to the left of the steering column. then undo the climate control screws and let it go down a bit. then take off the top cover over the cluster, then take off the cluster itself. It helped me to bend it in a direction to help get it out.

·
Project Sleepra
279 Posts
whats the part number on the speedo cable? I went to autozone to order one and they said they didn't even have it in their system :wtflol:

lemme guess... dealer only part?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
ImUrTurboLover said:
whats the part number on the speedo cable? I went to autozone to order one and they said they didn't even have it in their system :wtflol:

lemme guess... dealer only part?
you guessed correct. make a thread about it in the champion toyota and elmhurst toyota sections of this forum, they'll help you out with a quote and all that good stuff. it won't be cheap, but nothing from Toyota is. (except CPS covers)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i took my gauge cluster out and when i put it back in the speedo cable didnt line up right. i got in back right but it dont work.did i breakthe cable or what? how long does it take to fix it and how do you do it?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
_bandit said:
i took my gauge cluster out and when i put it back in the speedo cable didnt line up right. i got in back right but it dont work.did i breakthe cable or what? how long does it take to fix it and how do you do it?
take it out and put it back in again (the cluster)
took a few tries for me to get it right. man, i hate cluster work.. such a pain in the ass

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my cable end was bent over o the side and look like it was twisted and now it dont work.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Installing the gauge cluster tip--

gO TO AN EMPTY parking lot or somewhere with lots of room.

Set the gauge cluster up in place, then drive the car slowly and put the gauge cluster in its place. You'll know it's in right, cause the speedo will work. Then stop car and put in a few screws to hold it in place for final assemvly

·
Registered
87 Posts
The best thing you can do when you are trying to put the speedo cable housing back on the cluster is pop the hood, find where the housing comes out of the firewall, now you should see it clipped in a bracket or something there, unclip it and push the slack into the car. Now you should be able to clip it on and see it clipped with no problem. You dont have to do anything special just get some slack.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
When I replaced my guage cluster I had trouble with the speedo cable lining up. There is a green sleeve (if I remember correctly) that will slide towards you about an inch or so. This will help guide the speedo into the slot in back of the cluster. As you push the cluster in the guide will retract andall should be fine. If you don't slide the guide out it will be hit and miss until you finally get it right. Good Luck......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts