Supra Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have my cluster out to address a couple of issues.

The majority, if not all of the back lights are bulbs. They are accessible right on the back of the cluster. My questions are:

1) Are lights under the PRN2DL inside the cluster? The light under D on my cluster is out. Is it a bulb or LED?

2) How do I get to it? The way it’s sandwiched together you have a clear cover, then the black backing, then a white housing. I see how they interlock, but do I have to pull the needles of or can I somehow do this through the back?

2.5) All of the needles are down except my fuel gauge, it’s showing full even unhooked. Is that normal? I know I have sending unit problems, causing it to show F all the time, at least I thought I did?

Thanks in advance!
I’ve never touched the light bulbs in the cluster but I do know that all the used gauges I see on eBay have the fuel gauge not on empty. And. About the D bulb. I’m kinda getting my transmission problems straightened out but my D light does go out intermittently sometimes. My mechanic said it’s a loose pin (he didn’t show me) but I noticed when I put the gear in drive and it manages to connect with the auto gearbox it illuminates. When the manual light comes on(forcing me to be in manu mode the D light goes out). There has to be some kind of sensor issue. I’m gonna take the car to the dealership soon and get the valve body and all the solenoids replaced and hopefully the D light will work like it’s supposed to.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can’t tell you the last time my D light illuminated. I guess it would be a bulb. Everything else is, I don’t think I’ve found one factory LED on my 93, other than the 3rd brake light. Even the security flashing light is a bulb IIRC.

My connections to the speedometer cluster are all good, I suppose it could be the gear selector switch?

I need to read through the electrical SRM and see where it gets the signal from.

Regardless, bulb or LED, it’s not serviceable from the back, it’s sandwiched between the halves, I’m not going to pull the needles off to get to it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quit buying up all the good ones and I might! :)

Kidding aside, your indicator was intermittent, right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quit buying up all the good ones and I might! :)

Kidding aside, your indicator was intermittent, right?
Yes at one point it was permanently out. Even when my mechanic said he tightened a connector it would still be off most of the time which leads me to believe if D mode is messed up D won’t be lit. I could be totally wrong on this but I noticed when the few times D mode would actually engage the autogearbox (with a decent sized jerk In The shifting as if the tranny figured out it’s supposed to be in 1st the manu light randomly turned off and D light would illuminate. And as soon as a different ecu went in D was illuminated and manu light off along with the manu button functional again. Which either means the D and manu light is an error code that I don’t know about and will come back to haunt me soon. Or something in the ECU and the tranny sync up with the lights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes at one point it was permanently out. Even when my mechanic said he tightened a connector it would still be off most of the time which leads me to believe if D mode is messed up D won’t be lit. I could be totally wrong on this but I noticed when the few times D mode would actually engage the autogearbox (with a decent sized jerk In The shifting as if the tranny figured out it’s supposed to be in 1st the manu light randomly turned off and D light would illuminate. And as soon as a different ecu went in D was illuminated and manu light off along with the manu button functional again. Which either means the D and manu light is an error code that I don’t know about and will come back to haunt me soon. Or something in the ECU and the tranny sync up with the lights.
Also I took a chance on the new ecu because one member said when he was in L or 2 both lights on the dash would light up as if he was in both gears at the same time. I also had this problem at the later stages So I figure this had to be some sort of ecu problem and not the tranny going. The way I got into this problem was my parking structure has a steep ramp and I gave it decent throttle and the car ended up down shifting to L when i was in permanent manu mode with L and 2 illuminated.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts