Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, did a little bit of searching but none of the results helped. So here it is. All of a sudden the speedometer is not working. Where does this mechanism usually break? I didn't disassemble anything recently, it just decided not to work this morning. TIA.

Z

·
0 Posts
It's usually the short piece that comes out of the transmission by the exhaust.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Yea, I just fixed mine today, usually it either breaks inside or comes loose at the points where one cable hooks into another.

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
the top part usually makes noise before going out. so maybe that will give you a clue. I have an extra the top half if you need one.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't notice any noise from the speedometer cables, at least nothing I really noticed/heard. If it's the upper part, does it require removal of the gauge cluster?? Thanks

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
to replace the upper one you will so check or replace the lower one. It's alot easier. Also check the gear on the tranny. It's harder for it to go out but it could go out too.

·
Registered
523 Posts
the upper cable is a bitch to take out. frankly, i would pay someone to do it. you have to take out the gauge cluster in order to detach it from the back of the speedo. prolly about 2-3hr job

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the short piece from the tranny and it is broken inside. Somebody said that this usually breaks if the longer/upper cable is binding. So, I will check that too. Thanks.

·
Boost Creep.
432 Posts
Ron,

Was your speedo bouncing heavily? If yes, then the upper cable is prolly on it's way out as well. Mine siezed up, and that made the first section break...

When you have the upper section of the cable disconnected from the lower section, reach in with some pliers and grip the drive tang of the upper cable. It should turn very smoothly, and the force required should be quite minimal.

Changing the upper cable is a pain, but not unbearable. The hardest part is getting the rubber grommet that's molded into the cable to seat properly in the firewall. I wasn't able to do it, but SoCal gets so little rain and I have another vehicle, so it's of little consequence. You, however, may want to ensure it's seated... ;)

HTH,
Brendan

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I thought the cable removal install wasn't all that bad... lubing the cable via the SOGI tech tip sucked the worst.

My cable suddenly stopped too... the tranny elbow piece had broken inside. At the same time, I replaced the #1 cable and lubed #2 (the long 1). It worked like a champ when the car last ran... 15months ago. :(

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The needle was not bouncing at all when it was working, otherwise I would have noticed :) I'll replace the short piece and wait 'til it breaks again. I looked at the upper/longer cable and I thought it will be quite some work to replace. Bjacques, I don't know exactly how the grommet looks like on the inside side of the firewall but I'm assuming, if you apply some kind of lube that it will engage easier.
BTW, I heard a couple people mention elbow, mine does not have an angled piece at the transmission at all. Where exactly is this elbow?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts