Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyways, I have a 88 supra turbo with the TEMS system in it. I am now turning my attention to my brakes because, well they dont have much stoppong power for this heavy of a car. Upon taking a closer look I found out my rear brakes are DRUMS, yet all my research says that they should be calipers and rotors like the fronts.
So my first question is, how difficult is it to switch drums out to disk brakes

Second, where can I find a good brake system (front and back) for this car, I cant find anything except rotors...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello from Russia guys! :hay:

Drum brakes? :eek3:
Never heard about it on Supra :eek3:, it not a joke?

To make supra's brakes much effective, we use R32 Skyline GT-R front 4 pot calipers on stock MA brake rotors. They stand almost without re-working.
Enjoy!

Sorry for my English :angel:

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
rears are rotor drum combo, rotor for rear brakes, drum for emergency brake.

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Don't worry, you speak better then most people who are native to English. :)
LOL... Sad, but so true... :(

Wilwood makes a great BBK (Big Brake Kit). I'll be going with some of those in the future. I would be using 300ZX(/Skyline brakes?), but the brackets to mount the calipers are becoming all but impossible to find. As far as the rear brakes go, you can use MKIV rears, but I'll be staying stock as I don't think I'll be exceeding their braking capability. Most of the stopping is done with the front anyways. ;) The noyl reason I'm upgrading the front is because the factory setup doesn't handle heat too well. My brembo rotor/ceramic kevlar pad setup already stops incredibly well. I'm just worried that abusing them on the track will be more than they can take.

Collin

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Anyways, I have a 88 supra turbo with the TEMS system in it. I am now turning my attention to my brakes because, well they dont have much stoppong power for this heavy of a car. Upon taking a closer look I found out my rear brakes are DRUMS, yet all my research says that they should be calipers and rotors like the fronts.
So my first question is, how difficult is it to switch drums out to disk brakes

Second, where can I find a good brake system (front and back) for this car, I cant find anything except rotors...
Shit, you must have the Limited Edition FWD set up. It was only available in Mongolia between 88.5 and 88.9 years.

Aight Peace.:wavey:

·
4,627 Posts
My Russian Friend, You have now seen the noobs or new to supra people we deal with from time to time.

Your english is very clear my friend. So don't worry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts