Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a mk5 Supra that I got in December, after owning two Nissan 350z and three Nissan 370z. Nissan have gone of the boil with the Z so I was chuffed to bits with the announcement of a new Supra.
After running my Supra for 8k I have an issue with the brakes squealing just before the car comes to a halt ( it is louder than the horn) the noise is worse when cold or after washing. I dont use the brakes aggressively ,maybe I could use a softer compound pad but I have never had this issue with any Nissan and they had Brembo brakes.
Any ideas CJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi mate
Yes I did tried to send image but there were two plastic plugs one had up down with a arrow and one had left right with an arrow when you pop out the plug there is a big nylon cross head screw so I just went down two turns,followed my mate to worh he said it is good now. Thanx for asking ⁸

Attachments

·
From the land down under
4,092 Posts
Hi CJ

I wonder if your current brake pads have somehow glazed? Are they the OEM pads?

You could try removing them and giving them a light sanding with emery tape

Where are you from in NZ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mate I am in the Bay of Plenty. I find if I brake aggressively from about 200 k on the way home after night shift the noise will go away. But I have thought about giving the pads a light sand even a light chamfer on the leading edge, but to be honest I am buggerd if I can be arsed to do that on a new car.
I have covered over 8k in the car so should have bedded in by now. I have had two 350z and three 370z and never had such a noise, it will keep until service day, they can sort it out
regards CJ

·
Administrator
8,640 Posts
You've stated you put 8k and owned multiple z cars several different posts now...not sure how that is relevant to your issue. Put new pads on and try again? Or stop doing multiple high speed stops? Dont know what to tell you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Classic BMW problem. Chamfer them and try and keep them clean. The problem isn't likely to go away though.

·
From the land down under
4,092 Posts
Im a little (actually a lot) ignorant when it comes to this platform, but was wondering what kind of pads they come with from the factory? Are they an aggressive compound, to cope with high performance driving, or are they a soft pad to keep noise down?

I wonder if its the shims on the back of the pads creating a harmonic?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx for the input people. I have heard it is a bmw thing like the flinching windshield wipers.
Buggerd if I'm going g to pay for new pads ,will nut without on service day I recon.
Cheers CJ

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chamfer the pads and use BLACK hi temperature grease on the backs of the pads and caliper piston.
Make sure that the anti-rattle clips are in there. I get one squeak when cold and it goes away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts