Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car a while ago and the suspension is sounding all squeaky. Should I buy better susupension springs or what? I mean it drives just fine, but when no music is on and ur just moving around its all squeaky. So I was just wondering what was up... lmk thanks!

Rob~

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
my car does the same thing man...

many 93's and 94's have the same problem, something with the suspension bushing not quite fitting in the pivot cup thing, its coming from the rear suspension right? i think so. hope it helps the confusion a little bit.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a 94 and it does the same shit.

I'm replacing my suspension in a month I'll let ya know if that helps.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool flex lmk cause i dont wanna replace it if it wont stop the squeaking cause my car drives fine, just an annoying squeak when im in parking lots or when i have the music off or something thanks again man

Rob~

·
Registered
296 Posts
upper control arm bushing bad

I have a 94 and had the same problem.

Squeeky noise is really annoying and I spent $200 (part only) for the oem replacement of the upper control arm. You really need to replace it because metal to metal between the control arm and the other metal bar can be dangerous. My bro is a mechanic and I got free installation.

Good luck.

toyota oem part: 48790-19025 - $ 280

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cool so that ended up fixing it im guessing?

Rob~

·
Registered
296 Posts
queak fixed

Once he removed the old upper control arm, the problem was obvious, the bushing inside in old upper controll arm has been broken and pushed on one side of the joint.

No more squeaking. No more embrassment when driving by a crowd of people!

Good luck

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awsome man, thanks :D I was afraid I was goin to have to try a lotta different stuff to find out, but thanks man you came through with an easy and not so expensive solution! thanks a ton!

Rob~

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Yup, the squeeky problem is the upper control arm bushings. I've been living with that hellish sound for the past year. Finally got it diagnosed correctly last spring. Individual control arms are about $200 a piece through Jeff Watson, as mentioned earlier. I wish I had the money to fix it now...its a nasty sound that attracts A LOT of unwanted attention.

I've got a 93...seems like the 93-94s have this problem...any others??

Huy

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hehe ya i just try to cover it up with my 2-12s =P

Rob~

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im guessing its not a HUGE deal. Everything you do tho always seems to have a problem somewhere, but Im guessing this is a pretty easy 1-2 hour job.

Rob~

·
Registered
296 Posts
changing the control arm

My brother is a mechanic and I saw him changed it from start to finish. I do not think that it's not possible to do it yourself, off coures with all the right tools. The main bolts and nuts that tie the control arm are pretty hard to get to but not impossible. My bro had to beat them up pretty bad before was able to remove them. Other than this one, I did not see anything that a basic/regular guys can't do.

Good lucks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you have to have spring compressors to get to strut out of the way to get to the control arm or do you even need to mess with the strut.

Brad

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a 94 and the same problem on the driver's side only. If you haven't really cracked the bushing so that it has completely shifted over there is a quick fix for the noise. You simply spray the bushing with some TFL 50 wet or dry Teflon lubricant. This will stop the squeaking for a couple of months. I have been doing this for about the past year until I decide to replace both sides. If you crawl under from the rear, you can get a good shot at the bushing without spraying anything else.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 1995 SE and I have noticed the same problem in my car that you have been talking about. So it might be in 93-94 and my 95. Thanks for solving my problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does anyone know if the Special Order TRD Bushing kit from Japan has the upper control arm bushing because that might be cheaper than new arms.

Brad

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
Why only NAs?

Why does it seem that only the NA's have this squeaky problem? As referenced in the Supra parts list, the NA and TT share the same rear upper control arm. If it was a different part, the list indicates separate listings for "w/ turbo" and "w/o turbo"

:confused:

·
Registered
243 Posts
My 94TT also has this squeaky noise that seems to come from the passenger side rear suspension.

The previous owner installed some springs and shocks. I wonder if the shop that did the install just put back the old bushing, which causes the squeaking.

I'd like to compare some note on the noise. Does the squeaky noise only shows up when the rear of your car go through bumps ? I can sort of feel that it only squeaks when the suspension travels up/down.

That sounds similar to what you guys experiencing ? If it is, I guess I'll order some parts from JayMarks.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts