Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my ETS 4" core intercooler there was no way for me to run the stock undertray. The intercooler dips down too low and I would have had to hack up expensive factory OEM pieces to the point where they would look awful and be less sturdy. I know this because that's what a prior owner tried to do:)

Doing some research I discovered 2 companies that made undertrays.

SRD Tuning: SRD Bumper Under Tray « SRD Tuning

Dewla Dezign: Supra Splash Shield, Dewla Dezign Performance

SRD Tuning has a complete kit available right now (belly ban and bumper stuff). Dewla has just the belly pan. Dewla had posted teaser pics online of some of the front portion they were working on. I had planned on waiting to see how it turned out, but then I saw them comment in another thread saying they may abandon the project because they were not selling many belly pans. I have a feeling they haven't sold many because most people would want the full kit. Anyways that is what made me pull the trigger on the SRD Tuning one. I have seen newer posts by Dewla though saying they are still working on it and they may have something in a few months.

I purchased this directly through SRD Tuning in the UK. Even though I am in the US it only took about a week to arrive arrive after they shipped it. I had ordered the unfinished aluminum, but they contacted me and ended up upgrading it to the black powdercoated version for free as that was all they had in stock. It arrived safely. It was packaged well. The material seems like it is the right thickness (I have an LRB undertray on my rx7 and their aluminum is not as thick of gauge and seems flimsy). This stuff is solid. The powercoat job looks great. It came with mounting hardware. I ended up using the plastic grommets they sent, but I used oem bolts instead of what they sent me.

It was installed on an accident free car which I had also just installed new oem fender liners and side pieces. As-Is I would rate it an 8/10 on fitment. It did require elongating all the side holes on the belly ban. It also required a little trimming and bending of the front side pieces some. The front bumper portion also does not sit flush where it bolts below the radiator. It's almost like they needed an extra bend so that it could sit flush. It comes in at an angle and if you were to bolt it down it would indent the metal around ever bolt head. I ended up 3d printing some angled square washers to take care of it. It also clears my intercooler and AC lines with plenty of room. Overall I'm happy with it and would buy again. But like a lot of products I've purchased online, I think they could have spent a little more time perfecting it.

Pictures below as well as a video review:

Installed:

Spacers I 3d Printed. I ended up having to drill the center holes even bigger as there needed to be more wiggle room to get the 5 bolts in.

Video Review:

·
Boost Junkie
12,523 Posts
Thanks for posting this up. I have this kit as well and have been putting it off. I wish it came with the spacers.

Steve

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this up. I have this kit as well and have been putting it off. I wish it came with the spacers.

Steve

If you have a friend with a 3d printer, here is the STL file: https://802projects.com/downloads/SRDTuningSpacer.zip

I had to drill the holes out a little more on the spacers in my picture. I modified the STL file to make the holes a little larger so you shouldn't have to drill anything afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
Not to dampen your enthusiasm regarding your decision to go with SRD Tuning, but it is possible to notch the OEM undertray with a 4-row FMIC that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. I know because I had it done on Blackie in the late 90s when 4-row intercooler were virtually unheard of.

SP Engineering, my long time go-to shop, did the work for me. My FMIC was anodized black at the time which made the notching work even more difficult to detect when the car was on a lift. Never had a problem with this set-up, either with respect to cooling, structural integrity or overall sturdiness on very high-speed runs.

Notwithstanding all that, I am sure the SRD piece, particularly with respect to the fitment issues you have addressed, will work well for you when the car is on the road and you are driving her with bad intentions. Very nice work as always.

Ken.

Reactions: Mr.Gill

·
Registered
641 Posts
Not to dampen your enthusiasm regarding your decision to go with SRD Tuning, but it is possible to notch the OEM undertray with a 4-row FMIC that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. I know because I had it done on Blackie in the late 90s when 4-row intercooler were virtually unheard of.

SP Engineering, my long time go-to shop, did the work for me. My FMIC was anodized black at the time which made the notching work even more difficult to detect when the car was on a lift. Never had a problem with this set-up, either with respect to cooling, structural integrity or overall sturdiness on very high-speed runs.

Notwithstanding all that, I am sure the SRD piece, particularly with respect to the fitment issues you have addressed, will work well for you when the car is on the road and you are driving her with bad intentions. Very nice work as always.

Ken.
This is what I'm trying to do. I have the SRD fmic, which requires a lot of cutting or a SRD undertray. To me the SRD undertray looks very well made, but is seriously expensive for what it is imo.

I'm confident I can make the stock undertray work without to much cutting :)
However, of I fail to do so, I will be getting the SRD one.

Casper

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
Rejoined
48 Posts
Nice review of the SRD Bumper Under Tray, with its fitment issues, and your solutions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts