Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried googling this info. but I am just treading water! Does anyone here know the exact details of the tranny installed from the factory? I know the 1990 model only came with a 3-speed/3.73 gears while the 1991-1993 came w/ the 4-speed and 4.11 gears.
Is the tranny the TH400? 3 speed or 4 speed?
I could realy use a website to reference if anyone knows of one. www.454ss.com is lacking a TON of info.

Thanx in advance! :)
-jt

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
I owned a 1990 model back when they were cool---in 1990. :)

The 3-speed trans is the TH400.

The 4-speed trans is the 4L80.

·
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYRARMS said:
I owned a 1990 model back when they were cool

The 4-speed trans is the 4L80.

I STILL think they are cool! HAHA. I want that as a tow vehicle and as something if I feel like getting ~10 MPG around town. :)

Dan, is the 4L80 just a modded TH400 with another gear? Is it as bulletproof as the 400?

Thanx!

·
Registered
855 Posts
jt granberry said:
I STILL think they are cool! HAHA. I want that as a tow vehicle and as something if I feel like getting ~10 MPG around town. :)

Dan, is the 4L80 just a modded TH400 with another gear? Is it as bulletproof as the 400?

Thanx!
Let me get this, you want a 16 year old CHEVY for a tow vehicle? :scratch: You better put a tow hitch on the Supra to tow the truck "when" (not "if") it breaks down. :)

Jerry

·
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha. I think I will take my chances!

·
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just get an F-150 Super Crew used and be done with it. I wouldn't bother with the 454ss. Underpowered, not rated for towing a whole lot and gas mileage is worse than just about any other possible choice. Even a 5.7L of the same year would be a better choice.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,527 Posts
jt granberry said:

Thanx!

I'd drive cross country in my 40 year old Chevy :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i would not tow with one of those. those trucks are cool and where cool in the day but you will be disapoined if you try to pull with it. I bet they dont do 120 wheel hp and probably 250 lbtq. Im not bashing just saying for what it will cost to get one of those in good shap you could have a nice real tow truck.

Or better yet if just like those, get a regular cab 87-oh 01 two wheel drive truck and call jegs. get a 572 for $12K and trubo 400 for $2k then a gear vendors over drive for $2500. Have you cake and eat it too.

·
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, to each his own I guess. I HATE most all Fords, so they are out of the question IMO. This truck it rated at 9500-10000 towing and either one of the trannys are hard to beat.

I smell an AEM upgrade for this! Lean it way out under ~30% throttle. THAT would be having my cake and eating it too. :) Hell, it might be a record for gain in HP and TQ figures on a STOCK vehicle. Billy, do myou think it will be as much of a PITA to do a custom AEM EMS for this, as say Chris' TA?

·
Registered
54 Posts
jt granberry said:
Well, to each his own I guess. I HATE most all Fords, so they are out of the question IMO. This truck it rated at 9500-10000 towing and either one of the trannys are hard to beat.

I smell an AEM upgrade for this! Lean it way out under ~30% throttle. THAT would be having my cake and eating it too. :) Hell, it might be a record for gain in HP and TQ figures on a STOCK vehicle. Billy, do myou think it will be as much of a PITA to do a custom AEM EMS for this, as say Chris' TA?
I'd stay away from it. Its pretty low output for the displacement and it'll kill you in fuel no matter how lean you run it. Get a nice condition standard 1/2 ton if thats what you like. The 5.7L would be fine for towing your car even with a 4l60E. Maybe get a clean Z71 4x4, but stay the hell away from that 454ss. If you want something more, try to find a later model 454 3/4 ton truck.

As for towing, I can guarantee it wasn't rated for 10k. The 3/4ton/1tons of that era were barely rated for that. Payload on the 454ss is 1000lbs. So if you've got a 6000 lb trailer with 15% tongue weight, you are only leaving 100 lbs of capacity... Its a 1/2 ton truck with sport springs and a heavy motor that produces mediocre power.

·
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn you know how to put out a nice fire. :( I will take it in to consideration...

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,527 Posts
I would be hesitant on getting a z71 for a tow truck, their trannies are iffy.

·
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, it's not a Z71. Where did you get that from?

·
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Billy, what do you think of this Mod I found for the 4L80 Tranny?

When is the highest torque being applied to the driveline? At launch with out wheelspin. Torque converter multiplication, remember? And, unexpectedly, at the bottom of each gear. Remember, the torque peak on the 454 is at a low 1700 RPM. This overdrive can be used to split gears, and in fact will even overdrive reverse, if desired. But this is not recommended. The best profile for the overdrive unit, is to use it like a fourth gear only. No driving around town leaving it engaged, as this is when the torque curve is really beating up the unit. Just let the transmission go through the gears normally, and when you have reached cruising speed, hit the switch. Instantly loose 900 RPM from your cruising revs, and gain about 4 MPG. Forget about the 454SS normal oil burning problems, they are history!

·
Registered
855 Posts
To whom this may concern,

Please excuse my friend Jt, he will ask a bunch of dumb questions and then tell you every reason you are wrong. He does not take advise you give him even though he asking for it.

Thanks Jerry :)

The 454SS came out as a sport truck, the sport suspension can't hold that much weight. Stop being JT for once and listen to advise given, Billy knows alot about this stuff.

Jerry

·
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I already talked to Billy quite a bit about this over the phone. Barry too. Thanx champ. :)

(Quoted vertatium from a SS forum I found. Copied and pasted.)

1990 454SS w/ 3 spd. TH-400, 3.73 diff. gearing = 9500 lbs. towing capacity.
1991-1993 454SS w/4 spd. 4L80E, 4.11 diff. gearing = 10,000 lbs. towing capacity.

I tow my one SS around with my other SS. It is dropped 2/4. Tows it just fine, probably weighs a bit over 5,000 pounds all together.
Sooo, since the one I want has 43000 miles on it and you insist that it will break...can I qutoe you on that? So you are telling me that you see/have heard these "breaking", or is that just you speculating?

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
just buy the damn truck...last time i saw some it had a rope tied to the front of it and was being bulled by another chevy pickup

they really are turds

·
8 Second 6spd
1,251 Posts
get a diesel dodge cummins with manual transmission and never look back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts