Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HKS bov sounds different from stock twins to single. With the stock turbos the bov whistled like usual, now with the single it kind of has this flutter sound instead of the whistle. Is this because of the external wastegate?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Every ssqv i've heard on a big single car had the fluttering sound, havn't heard it on a stock twin car though.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
My car was similar. I had the SSQV on the stock twins, and it whistled. Then I put on a single (w/o BOV for a short time) and got to hear compressor surge (kept pressure low). When I installed the SSQV again, it still had a fair amount of "giggle". I was able to losen the screw on the back and it has a lot less surge sounds now. I mostly get the "giggle" when I'm shifting when not driving hard. When I'm doing a full throttle shift, the SSQV sounds like normal again.

Personally, I don't like the surge sound my car makes at all. Much quieter than it was w/o the BOV, but still not like it should be. It could also be that the line running to the BOV is a lot longer than it was when the twins were on. I've got ~3' of rubber, where the twins were mostly hard line with >12" of rubber.

In my next iteration I'm going to have a BOV just before the throttle with a very short line running from the manifold. But I'm waiting until I have the MAF removed and am venting the BOV (currently setup with the bypass kit).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
USFmk4 said:
Every ssqv i've heard on a big single car had the fluttering sound, havn't heard it on a stock twin car though.

Yes, thats how mine sounds. At first you think it's surge but it's not, it whistles at full throttle though. I just wanted to make sure this was normal for SSQ owners. I personally think it's because of the open WG on the other end.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Sometimes you have to watch that it isn't surge. When you in high boost and pushing more than 600hp the SSQV reaches it's limits (unless you have 2). It just all depends on when your hearing the "giggle".

·
2jz powered
1,649 Posts
airpowr: Mine makes the same noises you describe. Flutters just cruising around and a whistle at wot.

cord4530: From what i've been told by hks when i called then, your not suppose to adjust the screw on the back. I know it doesn't make much sense as to why they would have it there the if they didn't want you to adjust it. The newer version of the ssq i've noticed has the adjustment screw removed and everything else being the same :1poke: .

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Thanks SoarerTT. I read on the MKIV site about adjusting it, but even after the fact, it didn't seem to make any notable difference.

I should have noted the need for 2 SSQV's for large turbos. In my case, it's certainly not a problem because I'm just running a tiny single at low boost currently.

My thought is that it still *is* surge though. When it happens at low throttle shifts (cruising around town) I'm thinking that the first stage isn't opening up. But I don't understand wny it didn't make that sound with the twins on it....just a soft "pssss."

So then the next question I have is....since the screw is adjusted (looked messed with before I got the car anyway)...what should I adjust it back to? If I have a chance I'll call HKS and see if they have a recomendation.

·
Registered
934 Posts
if ur boosting alot.... letting it go slowly will cause the surge with the ssqv. whenever i DONT want to hear it, i just let it go alil faster (ofcourse not fast enough to jerk the car). now that i have BOTH stock and hks bov, surge is almost nonexistent.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Ya, I've actually been toying with the idea of running a really small BOV just for this reason. It would take care of the tiny surges, then let the HKS take care of the big ones. But then, that's what I thought the "Super Sequential" part was supposed to do <ha!>

·
Registered
615 Posts
i have stock twins and the hks ssqv. I occasionally get the fluttering if it is cool outside and i slowly let off from partial throttle. It seems to me that this wouldnt be good for the turbo...not as bad as full fledged compressor surge. But the on/off effect of the BOV that is heard in the flutter is strikingly similar and i wonder if it is doing some tiny amount of damage that may add up over time. :dunno:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts