Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright - lets see if anybody can solve this one.

Ive got an 88t, and whenever I begin to engage the clutch the car stalls. It doesnt immediately die, but it begins to sputter and eventually it dies. In addition, whenever the clutch is fully engaged, there is a grinding noise coming from the bell housing.

What is the switch that is pressed by the clutch pedal when it is disengaged? No, im not talking about the starter switch that is hit by the pedal when it is pressed down. This switch faces downward, and is only contacted when you take your foot off the pedal.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I'm pretty sure that other switch is the cruise control disenguagement switch.

Maybe you have some ignition issue that is showing up under load and not idling?

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good call on the cruise control...... it slipped my mind

How freely is that throw-out bearing supposed to rotate? Ive got the car up and I pulled the clutch fork. Although I can rotate it by hand, it doesnt spin freely. I was thinking that maybe the bearing is making all that racket.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
i had your similar issues and it turned out to be my pilot bearing was broken in 3 pieces. so...i guess theres a lil something to possibly think about. ;)

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Ditto on a bearing issue.... either pilot or throwout bearing is dying and or dead.
Check those out, they are cheap replacements, just PITA to replace them.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it looks like ill be pulling the transmission as soon as I can aquire a floor jack and extensions.......

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Don't be cheap on the bearings either... don't go cheap Chinese. Either SKS, FAG, TORINGTON, or something Swiss or high quality Japanese.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they were replaced with original toyota parts. I dont know why they shit on me.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
yeah dude, bdekoning is an expert on FAGs :D

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its not the bearings. I have the transmission off of the car right now and I cant see a thing wrong with any of the components. Does anybody else have any ideas?

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bump, bump bump it up!

F

·
0 Posts
I've seen it on a MK4. Keep in mind that the TT has a completely different clutch setup, but...the clutch engaging does put lots of fore to aft pressure on the crankshaft. I've seen crankshaft thrust bearings worn out to the point of causing such resistance and binding of the crank that the engine would stall. If you revved it up and slipped the clutch it worked for a while, but eventually a short block was the fix.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks man, ill check out my crank end play and get back. I appreciate your response

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FUCK!!!!!!

I got home and pushed forward and aft on the main pulley. I have over 1/2 inch of play, so I assume that my thrust bearing is completely gone. I am seriously pissed off. This block is brand new, and all of the related components in the block were machined to specs. This fucking sucks!!!!:mad: :anger: :anger:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts