Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently had a friend drop in a JDM engine. He did a compression test and got good numbers:
1: 150
2: 150
3: 150
4: 150
5: 145
6: 150

He told me to take it for a test drive, I put it in reverse and out of his garage, I stall as I put it in neutral. I thought it was driver error, so I turn it back on and try to drive around the street. If I let off the gas, the RPMs will fall under 500 and just stall out. If I try to go higher (or rev) past 1500 RPMs, it'll start sputtering almost similar to fuel cut. We checked timing and all was perfect. He believes it might have something to do with the electric stuff. Either the AFM or Ignitor he says, but we checked for codes and none were present.

What else would it be?

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
those #s look somewhat low. As for the sputtering and what not check into your AFM, and CPS.

~scott

·
Registered
205 Posts
The TPS will help to control idle. Loosen the bottom screw on the TPS, you will have to take the two bolts off of the ISV to get to the bottom screw on the TPS. You should calibrate the TPS first. Put the ISV back on. Then start the car and let warm up. You can move the TPS slowly and see the idle will move up and down. Also check your Fuel Pressure it should be between 34 to 38 psi without the pressure reference connectted. If you get what you want, take the ISV off again and tighten the lower screw to the TPS.
You can also back the idle arm screw off in combanation with theses procedures. I don't your AFM is bad, cause you usually get a code on that one. Also, did you put the jumper in when you set the timing?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It sounds like a bad OR disconnected AFM- I'm assuming its a turbo. It'll run without the AFM connected, but only at idle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The issues have been resolved and the car's running great aside from a small coolant leak that I have yet to find out where. It turned out to be a bad intake manifold gasket, so much for cheap ones at an auto store.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts