Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

If you had your choice of standalone ECU systems which would it be and why?

I may be looking for a new engine management system for my 1989 7MGTE and would appreciate any feedback on systems others are using. Hopefully the guys working on the car will figure out the problem with the VPC and GCC system they are trying to install and this will be a moot issue, but just in case!

Thanks,

Brad

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
I ended up narrowing it down to the AEM EMS or the Haltech E11v2. They both offer full sequtential fuel and ignition, so you're not firing injectors at closed valves. They also both offer boost control, wideband control, and EGT monitoring.

Neither one will be plug and play, so you'll need to do some wiring and purchase the apropriate sensors yourself.. The Haltech comes with a harness and sensor kit that you can cut and splice yourself, and the AEM will have to either be the universal one, or something like a 2JZ with you finding the ECU connectors and re-wiring the ECU yourself.

I went AEM because the price was much lower for me because I'm doing a 2JZ swap and already have the harness and sensors.

Best of luck!

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
I ended up narrowing it down to the AEM EMS or the Haltech E11v2. They both offer full sequtential fuel and ignition, so you're not firing injectors at closed valves. They also both offer boost control, wideband control, and EGT monitoring.

Neither one will be plug and play, so you'll need to do some wiring and purchase the apropriate sensors yourself.. The Haltech comes with a harness and sensor kit that you can cut and splice yourself, and the AEM will have to either be the universal one, or something like a 2JZ with you finding the ECU connectors and re-wiring the ECU yourself.

I went AEM because the price was much lower for me because I'm doing a 2JZ swap and already have the harness and sensors.

Best of luck!
The AEM EMs I have for my '89 7M-GTE plugs right in. Part #s 30-1110 and 30-1130 for early & late MkIII, respectively. Only MAP & AIT need to be wired in if going to Speed-Density; and solenoid if using the boost control function. Sequential injection can be configured, but not sequential ignition, which must remain semi-batch fire [aka wasted spark].

Take care.

·
2JZ NA-T MKIII
666 Posts
No, because Standlones have fully programable timing control, as well as a whole slew of other options. An SAFC won't get you close, I'm afraid. All you're essentially doing with an SAFC is using the airflow signal to fool the ECU.

I run the Stinger, it's a great bang for the buck!

·
Banned
331 Posts
No, because Standlones have fully programable timing control, as well as a whole slew of other options. An SAFC won't get you close, I'm afraid. All you're essentially doing with an SAFC is using the airflow signal to fool the ECU.

I run the Stinger, it's a great bang for the buck!
Ok, thanks!
wow, timing control, that is insane!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Motec has some AWESOME stuff. Even beyond their engine management, the A/SDL setups are used in virtually every race car aside from F1.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
My biggest beef with Wolf is a total lack of support, a few times I've had to resort to showing up on their doorstep first thing Monday morning so they can't dodge me......

·
Banned
331 Posts
You didn't know?

Definitely going to want to pay someone to set it up for you then... or I see a fragged engine in your future.
I never really thought about controlling the timing. I do all my work myself. That will never change. I just learn when i need to.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Motec

support is unmatched in the industry. There is a reason you pay a premium as you sneeze and they WILL hold a handkerchief to your nose. And I am not kidding!

besides that, CAN support which makes communication with other CAN network objects a dream.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
not as expensive as a fragged fully built engine...

·
Banned
331 Posts
not as expensive as a fragged fully built engine...
Good call :) Or you can just not go so overkill :) Like 400 hp instead of 600 :) Yeah, i definately will probably go with a nice stand alone sometime. I just need more supra buddies in my area. It kinda sucks when yourself is the only one you can talk to about the car :)

·
supra love
463 Posts
i have a microtech on my 1jz, so does chris davey. but i've never used anything before this to compare it too. chris used to have the wolf i believe, and said he likes the microtech WAY better!

·
2JZA70
2,537 Posts
Motec

support is unmatched in the industry. There is a reason you pay a premium as you sneeze and they WILL hold a handkerchief to your nose. And I am not kidding!

besides that, CAN support which makes communication with other CAN network objects a dream.
Yep. Motec will be the next step in management for my supra. I have the haltech E-11 and it is a great unit but nothing can compare to the motec units.

·
Carma Performance
765 Posts
For the money Autronic is good alternative to Motec. Most of the time a street car will not come close to using half of a Motecs potential.

Erin

1 - 20 of 74 Posts