Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas, my car is almost done getting built and my question is that do i need to go standlone if i am running 1000cc,dont plan to drag race or dyno, not planning to go E85 ...the car is just for cruising and maybe some highway pulls but thats about it..the car was on a VPC/safc/gforce set up before the build..i know its old technology and all but i dont have the time to shoot to a dyno and find a tuner to tune a standalone..but if i have to do this then that leaves me no choice i guess..but if i can get away running my vpc set up without harming my new engine then that would be good.anyone ran a vpc set up with 1000cc with success without harming there motors? should i just bite the bullet and get an aem v2 and have that tuned for pump gas? how often do a tune last ? i will have to retune everytime i change parts such as turbo,fuel pumps etc?

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just wanted to see if standalone would be fit for my use..i know standalone has a lot of features which i know i wont use due to my style of driving (old fart) but just seeing how reliable would my car be using a VPC set up compared to be hunting for a tuner to tune my car everytime i change something etc? i just want to know if i get an aem v2 tuned on my car how long do a tune last and how often i have to retune?

·
NY56637
1,813 Posts
just wanted to see if standalone would be fit for my use..i know standalone has a lot of features which i know i wont use due to my style of driving (old fart) but just seeing how reliable would my car be using a VPC set up compared to be hunting for a tuner to tune my car everytime i change something etc? i just want to know if i get an aem v2 tuned on my car how long do a tune last and how often i have to retune?
Honestly, when I had my VPC/ piggyback combo I had no issues at all. This was on pump gas for a fun, simple street car. I eventually went to an AEM V2 because that suits my goals better. Most people will say go standalone because there are obviously more benefits and tune-ability there but it all depends on what your goals are and who nearby can tune if you go standalone and etc.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my goals for this car is to have a realiable street car on pump gas, i know a lot of people will say go standalone because you never know in the future if you want more power which makes very good sense..right now its just to inconvenience for me to hunt for a good tuner here in new york for a tune or everytime i change something i might need a retune etc...BUT if there is a huge difference with a standalone vs VPC on pump gas on 1000cc then i will bite the bullet if not then i will just stick to the vpc unit..only issue with the vpc is that i have to keep playing around with it to get a good A/F..if i get a tune on a aem v2 would this change things? i am not good with tuning so if my A/F is out of wack with a standalone i will have to hunt for a tuner to fix this issue..also notice a lot of tuner put a password on there tunes so i would have to stick to that one tuner..i know there is an option of remote tuning but i dont know how well that would work vs a dyno tune especially on WOT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alpha has tuned my car and any issues I had due to me changing parts ( turbo, manifold) he fixed it remotely and my car runs excellent. . I don't see why you would keep needing to retune the car if everything stays the same after tuning. I been through a few tuners before alpha and I can tell you straight up, alpha is the best

·
NY56637
1,813 Posts
my goals for this car is to have a realiable street car on pump gas, i know a lot of people will say go standalone because you never know in the future if you want more power which makes very good sense..right now its just to inconvenience for me to hunt for a good tuner here in new york for a tune or everytime i change something i might need a retune etc...BUT if there is a huge difference with a standalone vs VPC on pump gas on 1000cc then i will bite the bullet if not then i will just stick to the vpc unit..only issue with the vpc is that i have to keep playing around with it to get a good A/F..if i get a tune on a aem v2 would this change things? i am not good with tuning so if my A/F is out of wack with a standalone i will have to hunt for a tuner to fix this issue..also notice a lot of tuner put a password on there tunes so i would have to stick to that one tuner..i know there is an option of remote tuning but i dont know how well that would work vs a dyno tune especially on WOT
You should not really need to adjust your tune unless you are adding modifications. Generally I never changed my piggyback settings as I did not do any significant modifications that required me to do so. Same thing with my AEM V2, I had a shop tune it once installed and have not touched it since. No issues. Being in NYC, have you looked into Empire Performance? You definitely want to find a good tuner BEFORE going standalone IMO.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alpha has tuned my car and any issues I had due to me changing parts ( turbo, manifold) he fixed it remotely and my car runs excellent. . I don't see why you would keep needing to retune the car if everything stays the same after tuning. I been through a few tuners before alpha and I can tell you straight up, alpha is the best
have you used waynespeed here in NYC or chris miller out in LI? if so any stories regarding why not tune with them ?

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
If running 15psi on pump gas 91 or 93 octane you can probably get away with the vpc but then the 1000cc injectors become massive overkill. The proper way to do it is with a standalone. The vpc and other similar devices will give you too much timing at the top end and will wear your motor faster.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If running 15psi on pump gas 91 or 93 octane you can probably get away with the vpc but then the 1000cc injectors become massive overkill. The proper way to do it is with a standalone. The vpc and other similar devices will give you too much timing at the top end and will wear your motor faster.
yea this is what i was afraid of being a new motor and all ...so to break in my motor i will need a tune for this and then after the motor is broken into then i will need a WOT tune? or should i just break in the motor with the VPC set up and then have the car tuned with the AEM v2 so i dont get charged twice for a tune?

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
In two weeks I will be pulling my VPC/SAFC combo out of my Supra because I went AEM Infinity. Anyone interested in the VPC/SAFC combo $300 + shipping

·
Registered
678 Posts
Why such big injectors with the plans you have of running pump gas? It’s been said many times, but I’d definitely go with what your tuner is comfortable with. On my previous Supra, the Proefi was installed and tuned by Dave Jusko and the car ran flawlessly; it did require an idle speed of about 1000 rpm, but that was due to the GSC S2. My current auto Supra has the VPC/SAFC2/GForce setup and it drives like stock, honestly. I had planned on keeping it BPU, but that went out the window when the mod bug hit.

As for having to retune SAFC2 setup constantly, it depends on the fuel and boost level. My tune for pump/17psi hold 10.8-11.0 without having to touch the settings, even after multiple fill ups. If you did have to change settings, it's fairly simple assuming you have a wideband.

I've never been to a dyno with my car, but it traps 134-135 MPH consistently on 28-29psi, so I'm sure it's making decent power. AFR is 11.4-11.6 with about 112 motor octane (mix of VP110 and C16).

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my goals for the car would be the most i can get out of pump gas ,i believe 1000cc is the borderline for the safc/vpc combo..i will break in the motor with the vpc/afc combo and if it suits my needs then i will just keep it as that..just wanted to see if the aem would be the same as the vpc set up at 18-20 psi drive ability wise

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
what was your HP range with the vpc/safc set up? how did you like it?
The Supra I just recently bought came with it. He had a VERY conservative tune of 440rwhp for daily driving on crappy 91 octane. Car has ALOT of HKS goodies and could have easily did some race gas pulls to max the turbo but I want to go E85 so VPC/SAFC combo had to be ruled out form the start. Otherwise it pulled VERY strong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2laW6aCGiiQ

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
my goals for the car would be the most i can get out of pump gas ,i believe 1000cc is the borderline for the safc/vpc combo..i will break in the motor with the vpc/afc combo and if it suits my needs then i will just keep it as that..just wanted to see if the aem would be the same as the vpc set up at 18-20 psi drive ability wise
I would keep the VPC on there. 1000 cc's sound like they are a little large for your goals on pump gas, but it can be done. But, IIRC, you never got the car running quite right on the VPC, so maybe you should have someone tune it.

Al

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Supra I just recently bought came with it. He had a VERY conservative tune of 440rwhp for daily driving on crappy 91 octane. Car has ALOT of HKS goodies and could have easily did some race gas pulls to max the turbo but I want to go E85 so VPC/SAFC combo had to be ruled out form the start. Otherwise it pulled VERY strong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2laW6aCGiiQ
thanks nick,

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would keep the VPC on there. 1000 cc's sound like they are a little large for your goals on pump gas, but it can be done. But, IIRC, you never got the car running quite right on the VPC, so maybe you should have someone tune it.

Al
hey AL, you think if i upgrade to a SAFC2 it might fine tune the 1000cc better vs the safc1?

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
We ran VPC/GCC combos for years back in the day up to 800hp without much of an issue, but typically those of us around 1997-1999 ran a GFORCE ECU which helped a bit on excess timing on the top end. If you're going to have a 650hp car a VPC/AFC combo is fine in my opinion for a fast street car on a limited budget. Hard to beat the reliability and every day driving of a factory ECU with a piggy back.

You didn't mention which turbo you'll be running and likes others have mentioned if you'll never see E85, then go with smaller injectors (850cc or so), as it will be a bit more compatible with the VPC alphabet soup combo. We had the second AEM EMS in existence running on my car back in 2000 and to be honest, an updated AEM EMS S1 is better than the alphabet soup on a 6 speed car. We made 903 rwhp on 2000 on the AEM S1 and the car ran great all the time.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the car has the following mods.
precision 6766 .84 ar
Ev14 bosch high impend 1000cc injectors
BC 264 cams
cp 9:1 pistons
hks vpc/safc1/gforce ecu
Built r154 5 speed trans with SB stage 3 clutch kit

1 - 20 of 34 Posts