Supra Forums banner
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
They are updated now... assuming the prices are accurate, which if that sold for 273K is true (you have to open up each individual car)

These prices are incredible - I wouldn't have guessed >250K

If this is what a somewhat off the radar (?) auction yields, then the thought of buying a MKIV Turbo 6 spd to enjoy for myself is all but dashed at this point; although I do realize these were special examples with very low mileage.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
750 Posts
Whaaaa ?!?!?!

The website isn't updated with selling prices, can someone be so kind and post all of them up here ?
It's on there, select the vehicle. It shows the high bid, without the buyers premium

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Now everyone with a Supra will think they can get $150k...

me: looks at a For Sale sign lol
I agree. Like we've all said LHD, low mile, turbo 6spd cars are always going to fetch the big money. The driver/ swapped cars tick up a bit but nothing to crazy.

I think eventually it will flatten out - like muscle cars have (say one Model) say - E body Cudas theres 5-50 that are worth 250k to millions. Driver cars are worth $25-150k all day. Biggest thing is someone needs to come in and continue making OEM style replacement parts otherwise who knows what that will do with values.

Speaking of parts what happened to Cory's OEM parts collection/ stock? Should have been asking the people running the auction. I hope the govt didn't throw them all away.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Now everyone with a Supra will think they can get $150k...

me: looks at a For Sale sign lol
Every supra I've seen that is 150k+ is collector worthy condition aka Time Capsule looking car. Not every supra is a time capsule.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My buddy is the buyer of the 1998 QS, he had one when he was younger and regretfully sold it. Now he was willing to pay whatever it costs to buy a collector edition one. Soooooo here we are, highest recorded bid ever on a Supra! His reserve was set to 300k since he did not attend the auction live.

And he would not budge, I tried to convince him to buy the 40k mile one for half the price but first world problems...

Rectangle Handwriting Font Parallel Magenta

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
My buddy is the buyer of the 1998 QS, he had one when he was younger and regretfully sold it. Now he was willing to pay whatever it costs to buy a collector edition one. Soooooo here we are, highest recorded bid ever on a Supra! His reserve was set to 300k since he did not attend the auction live.

And he would not budge, I tried to convince him to buy the 40k mile one for half the price but first world problems...

View attachment 275835
Wow, that's incredible! Anything else you can share, where is the car headed ? Any plans to drive it or will it be tucked away in a collection ?

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,092 Posts
I didn't expect some of them to go for that much.
Same here. Seems bidders were like sharks smelling blood in the water and a feeding frenzy ensued. Incredible.

Ken.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, that's incredible! Anything else you can share, where is the car headed ? Any plans to drive it or will it be tucked away in a collection ?
Car is headed to the Bay Area, CA. Actually, he doesn't even collect cars, so he isn't some ultra rich guy with a warehouse full of 100+ cars. The car absolutely will not be driven as sad as it sounds, he's buying this more as a gift to himself as a piece of history (otherwise he woulda bought up the other rare collector grade Supras too). He plans on buying another one in the future with 100k+ miles to drive but not at this moment.

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Car is headed to the Bay Area, CA. Actually, he doesn't even collect cars, so he isn't some ultra rich guy with a warehouse full of 100+ cars. The car absolutely will not be driven as sad as it sounds, he's buying this more as a gift to himself as a piece of history (otherwise he woulda bought up the other rare collector grade Supras too). He plans on buying another one in the future with 100k+ miles to drive but not at this moment.
They call these dead man's cars. Shame oh well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same here. Seems bidders were like sharks smelling blood in the water and a feeding frenzy ensued. Incredible.

Ken.
I was responsible for bidding on the 98' QS so I was following the auction a bit, but it seems like only a select few bidders were the ones bidding high up on them. I'm not sure if there is enough evidence to show the future MKIVs will continue this route. Sure it might increase the value of them a bit, but nothing as crazy as 200k+ for a casual low mile TT 6 speed. It would have to tick all the right boxes whether it's a rare color or if it's a hardtop. That's just IMHO.

Adam El from Brooklyn Auto, not sure if he's on the forums, bought 5 of them so that already goes to show the clientele that are scooping these up. Congrats on his personal collection as I hear he is a huge enthusiast, but again, it isn't like there were a group of 100 people ready to slap down 100k+ for these cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They call these dead man's cars. Shame oh well.
I've been following supras since 09 and it's sad to see the direction most of these Supras have gone. These used to be cars people got to buy and enjoy within reachable budgets but now everyone acts like they have a museum piece or a 1/5 Paint-to-Sample Porsche when it's just some RHD modded out 150k mile imports with numerous accidents. I almost wish the Supras were back to the good ol' days where they weren't meme'd out to hell. They've always caught attention but they were mainly people that knew what it was. Now it's just a social media piece.

I've never posted on the forums and I've been here since the early days and it sucks to see how different the owners are now vs back then. :(

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
I'm still the same along with many others. The collector car mentality and short financial gains poisoned the og owners who sold for greener pastures. Such is life and all things...we're here for a finite amount of time. Your wife doesn't care about the car the way you do...your kids don't care about the car the way you do. Don't save it for them because trust me if you go first its the first thing they're selling no matter what you think. Seen it over and over.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Your wife doesn't care about the car the way you do...your kids don't care about the car the way you do. Don't save it for them because trust me if you go first its the first thing they're selling no matter what you think. Seen it over and over.
All of the cars & everything I have saved/ horded, the love & passion of a lifetime will be sold on that auction site in a week.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts