Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I started delining the headlights with 220 to knock down the lines on my 94 headlights and so far 3 hours into it I have a long way to go

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
let me say this it would take for ever by hand. i started off with 80 grit real careful and up to 4000. this is all done with a orbital sander. it is lots of work like everyone has said but it will make for an updated look similar to the new corvette headlights

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good luck. I used an orbital sander but it left permanent swirls that were impossible to get out. I really should've spent more time on it. Well, now I have a good excuse to get some euros!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i did the second headlight and i took me 6 hours straight and it looks better than the first one i did. i started with the orbital sander with 80 grit and knocked down all the lines and the circles. then moved up to 120 grit then 230 grit, then 600 wet sanding all with the orbital sander. at 800 grit i started doing the inside and outside wet sanding. i did it all the way up to 4000 grit. they look great will post pics

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
i did the second headlight and i took me 6 hours straight and it looks better than the first one i did. i started with the orbital sander with 80 grit and knocked down all the lines and the circles. then moved up to 120 grit then 230 grit, then 600 wet sanding all with the orbital sander. at 800 grit i started doing the inside and outside wet sanding. i did it all the way up to 4000 grit. they look great will post pics
why would you use 80 grid on plastic???? you should never do that. the lowest i would go is 600 then work your way up

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
trust me use 80 with an orbital air sander with 80psi to knock down the lines in 93-96 headlights then go up to 4000

·
Game Over
1,207 Posts
Hey, hows the process of the lense doing? I've been taking a different route to see how long it really takes to sand by hand and so far, I've spent maybe about a week or two with about an hour or two everyday on my first lense, and Im only about 1/4 way done. I think the hard part is sanding the higher part of the plastic even with the rest. I'm just using 320 for now.. I'll probably keep going, but I gotta say those who done both lenses by hand must've been gifted with patience or something...

·
Game Over
1,207 Posts

Sorry it took awhile to get them up... I just spent another 3 hours just getting rid of the lines in the middle of the highbeam area and leveled it with the rest of the plastic, but I was too lazy to get pics up right after. But Man... Just imagine the patience of those who finished both lenses completely by hand. Just thinking about the 2nd lense right now is already intimidating me..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts