Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. Im looking for my first bike here in the next couple months.. I would really like a Yamaha FZ6 as I think it would be a good fit for me.. I am 6'3" and about 220lbs.. I dont think I could ride a crotch rocket all the time (although im not sure how they fit someone of my size)? I dont plan on driving this too much just around the city and the occasional under 5 hour trip..

I want something sporty looking and that has a decent power.. I hear that the new GSXRs have a powermode setting (which I would consider starting on a 1000cc if there is different power modes)?

I have driven many dirtbikes in my earlier years but havent ever driven a street bike (outside of a few enduros my buddies owned)..

Just curious what you guys would recommend?

My price range is under $5,000.00 CDN used (dont want to go above that)

Thanks

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
Look into the SV650's. Its been said a million times on here, but they are great bikes to start. Several members including myself ride them and love them. I'm 6' 230lbs and I find it fits me well. Also doesn't hurt they are dirt cheap, easy to maintain, most people like the look (naked or sport version).

Personally I wouldn't start on a 750 or liter bike....even a 600 sport bike would be pushing it. I look at it like this...a sport bike has more power than you need for the street or for learning. You'll spend most of your time at half throttle in 1st or 2nd gear and never really get a feel for pushing the bike to its limits without speeding or being unsafe. This is why I love my SV. I can bang through the gears and the torque makes even rolling into the throttle at low RPM a fun time. If you've got some experience or are planning on being on the track quite a bit thats a different story. I just can't stand seeing the local kids all owning busas or R1's and only cruising them from their house to the local hangout and then back home again. Seems like such a waste to me.

·
Ninja Engineer!
336 Posts
I just bought a CBR1000RR as my first bike. If you're big the smaller bikes will feel and look like pocket bikes IMHO.

The mentioned bike is strong as a mofo, but with a decent amount of respect not difficult to drive at all.

If you choose the SV's, look at the liter. You'll have more fun with that over time....

·
Registered
693 Posts
Agreed on SV650. The S(F) models are the ones with the full farings for the sportbike look.

More than enough to start on to learn the proper way to ride. Standard seating position for more comfort than full blown supersports/ superbikes. Then in time as your skills progress, suspension work will completely transform the bike.

-Christian

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
I am a bigger guy and started on a SV650 ...... Even though i moved onto bigger things after 4 years of ownership I couldnt sell it and still ride it to this day,.....

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I can ride a comfortable bike faster than I can ride a fast bike uncomfortably.

SV's are really fun. ALso, check out a used Honda SuperHawk 1000. V-twin power, sport-touring riding position, and a lot of fun. I had one for a year and really liked it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just bought a 2001 GSX-R 1000.. Figured it would be a bit much power for me but test drove it and found with respect and not driving it to the limits its a easy to control bike!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the training courses here from the Canadian Safety Council.. It was good and I was by far the best rider at the training.. I had riden dirtbikes which helped a lot.. But on my testing I got perfect scores and completed the courses in under the trainers times.. I was a decent rider so throughout the training I spent all the time on slow moving and tight spaces.. I pickup the gixxer this weekend and cannot wait.. Need to book my road test hopefully this week if I get back in town soon enough!

·
Administrator
17,272 Posts
Congratulations and stay safe. Remember that everyone else out on the road IS TRYING TO KILL YOU for the ultimate success. ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just had it dropped off today (an hour ago) so here she is:

Needs new rubber but other than that shes solid!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
congrats and nice pick up by the way. i have to agree with some of the members in here, it's all about control. my first bike was a 2006 yamaha R6, lot of people told me that would be to much to start on and the others try to tell me that i should at least start on a 750cc because i would "out grow" a 600cc. actually i just fell in love with the "raven" when i first saw her and told myself i must have this bike. so far (knock on wood) i haven't had any spills, i always keep myself in check and pay full attention when im riding. bikes are way different from cars, yes we all know this but the principal is pretty much the same, don't ride outside ur means. i can bet some guys on here bought supra's as their first cars and some guys (like myself) started out on cars like 1988 honda accord 5spd LXI hatchback. just be cool on the right hand and you should be ok, good luck, enjoy, and always be safe

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
These threads make me laugh as much as they make me livid.

eaks and others, you logic is beyond retarded. 1) You don't even know how to ride a motorcycle yet let alone a 1000 anything. How can you talk about throttle control when you have nothing to compare it to? There is no such thing as I will respect it and exercise control. Its something people say because their ego gets in the way of starting where they should: on a starter bike. Just because you can ride something doesnt make it smart or even remotely cool. There is nothing dumber looking or scary to be around riding then a noob on a sport bike. Guys that have been riding for a long time can't stand them. Me included.

2) "I'm a bigger guy" statement is ass backwards. Sport bikes a are much tighter quarters than many other bikes. Not to mention with big tanks in the way, clip ons, etc, they are much less comfortable than other bikes.

3) I started driving a "blank fast car" I can handle a fast bike. Cars are not bikes!! Why do people insist on comparing them?! A little twist of your wrist on a 1000 is a lot of power. And you aren't balancing on two wheels in a car. There is so much form and control and understanding that goes into riding a bike that doesn't even come close to occurring a car. I'll ask you a couple simple questions - when will you be using your back brake and how will you be applying it (something you dont deal with in a car)? How will you initiate a turn(something you dont deal with in a car)? How will your hands and arms and body and legs and feet and head and fingers and knees be positioned under normal riding(something you dont deal with in a car)? How will you brake in a turn? How will you brake at slow speed? What about when your wheel is turned? How do you make the bike more upright without using body motion when coming out of a corner? What do you do if you lock your back wheel up? What do you do if you lock your front wheel? What do you do if you blow a tire? How would you describe countersteer? Tell me about parking lot drills. how can you lean or tuck the nose in more without body movement? Why is the friction zone so key? $50 says your hands will be hurting after riding because you are death gripping the bars too. Honestly, all defense thread posts aside, if you can not answer all of those in depth with confidence without looking them up you aren't ready for anythign but a Ninja 250 and MSF course and loads of drills. I.E - where you should be in the first place even if miracoulsy you knew all of that it doesnt mean you can put them into practice.

4) Outgrow what? You mean your mind gets used to faster speeds. Big deal. Just because you can hit a baseball from a tee doesn't mean you can play in the MLB. Just because you can point a car in certain directions and control a slide doesn't mean you can drive an F1 car. Just because you can ride a 1000 doesn't mean you are controlling it. You are just along for the ride my friend because I am letting you know right now you have zero clue what you are doing and you are asking to get hurt and hurt others around you.

5) oh my buddy started on one and he hasn't wrecked. Well its a good thing he hasn't, but he is 5000 times more likely too and chances are he doesn't know a thing about riding either. I find it funny the same guys who start riding on big bikes seem to also be the guys riding with little to no gear. Coincidence? Nope.

Do yourself the favor, don't be an idiot. Sell the bike and start with a starter bike. I am not even going to suggest to take the MSF course(s), because you will not learn even 1/400th of what you need to ride a liter bike safely. Be a fucking man and start on a starter bike not a liter track bike with turn signals.

I'm done, I'm going to go fly my F-22 jet since I have taken some lessons learning to fly a Cessna 172. I'm a big guy and I think I can handle it if I respect the plane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Props to the above novel! I have been riding street since i was 16 (31 now) and have been doin track days on an 08 r1 for 3 years. Ya, a starter bike is a ninja 250 or a yamaha star 250! Btw....im a yamaha/can am/ suzuki sales manager in indiana if you wanna trade that in and get the proper bike!!

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
Good luck with the new bike man! Riding a motorcycle on the street is a lot like being a pedestrian in Death Race 2000, keep that in mind at all times. :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes like others have said, when you push the start button and kick down into 1st, you will simply fucking explode in a spectacular catastrophe that you were meant to be.

Now that we have the horror stories out of the way, I started on a 600 and still get an increased heart rate every time i suit up. But you ride moderate you will be fine. (Being 35 yrs old and married to an ER doc helps) However I would not have fucked with a 1K off the bat, thats not the issue here.

HAVING said that, riding with douches will get you killed faster than any bike you buy. Ride slow, ride solo, and ride YOUR ride. But soon as you start letting guys gas you up, and you begin having brain farts along the lines of "I got this." You're done.

Read riding tips articles, watch twist of the wrist II, UK super bike school episodes, get on legit bike forums specific to your vehicle, don't fixate, look where you want to go, toes on pegs, ATGATT (all the gear all the time), get frame sliders...blah blah blah. Educate yourself, take courses, 90% of bike guys you meet will give the worst advice, ......

just don't get killed and hopefully 30-40k miles later you can post up pics dragging knee while flipping the bird to your dissenters.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
To all.. Im not new to motorcycles I have been riding dirtbikes since I was 8 or 9 years old.. I actually just read through all the responses here and you guys can think whatever you want and how im an idiot for buying a 1k to start.. Fact of the matter is during my training on our street ride I drove a cbr 250 and I actually had to pull over and swap rides as the 250 was way to small and I was turning the handlebars into my knees (yeah thats very safe im sure).. I have been riding dirtbikes since about 8-9 years old and trust me riding around tracks with other crazy riders is ALMOST as dangerous as driving on the roads with other cars.. Its the same thing as starting on the track you take your time feel the track and you start riding with less people at first and as you develop skills you are able to ride with more speed and more people.. The most dangerous thing I believe for riding a bike is the other people on the roads (in there cars/trucks/ect) who arent paying attention.. And I will tell you this put me on a 250 or a 1k and have a car switch into my lane with no escape and im going down (bike isn't the issue here). But you guys can think what you want.. I have put over 3000kms on my bike already and absolutely love it. I typically ride solo but have a friend who is starting out on his cbr600rr and my boss who has been riding for years on his ducati monster 800..

I love my 1k and would be pissed off if I started on a 600 and had the opportunity to drive a 1k. The bike fits me perfect and feels right. It is also a very light bike (as it weighs 5lbs more than my buddies 06 cbr600rr) and easy to move around the road!

And for thoes saying starting out on fast cars heres a list of my bikes/cars from my first one (years are a guess as I don't remember exactly when all were purchased):
-suzuki 80cc bike ( 1997)
- Honda XR200 (2003)
- 2001 Dodge neon automatic (2006)
- Kawasaki KX250 2 stroke (2007)
- 1996 Dodge neon 5 speed (2008)
- 1994 TT 6 Speed supra (2010)
- 1998 dodge neon 5 speed (2010)
- 1999 Tacoma 4x4 TRD 5 speed (2011)
- 2004 BMW 330XI auto (2011)
- Suzuki GSX-R1000 (2011)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These threads make me laugh as much as they make me livid.

eaks and others, you logic is beyond retarded. 1) You don't even know how to ride a motorcycle yet let alone a 1000 anything. How can you talk about throttle control when you have nothing to compare it to? There is no such thing as I will respect it and exercise control. Its something people say because their ego gets in the way of starting where they should: on a starter bike. Just because you can ride something doesnt make it smart or even remotely cool. There is nothing dumber looking or scary to be around riding then a noob on a sport bike. Guys that have been riding for a long time can't stand them. Me included.

2) "I'm a bigger guy" statement is ass backwards. Sport bikes a are much tighter quarters than many other bikes. Not to mention with big tanks in the way, clip ons, etc, they are much less comfortable than other bikes.

3) I started driving a "blank fast car" I can handle a fast bike. Cars are not bikes!! Why do people insist on comparing them?! A little twist of your wrist on a 1000 is a lot of power. And you aren't balancing on two wheels in a car. There is so much form and control and understanding that goes into riding a bike that doesn't even come close to occurring a car. I'll ask you a couple simple questions - when will you be using your back brake and how will you be applying it (something you dont deal with in a car)? How will you initiate a turn(something you dont deal with in a car)? How will your hands and arms and body and legs and feet and head and fingers and knees be positioned under normal riding(something you dont deal with in a car)? How will you brake in a turn? How will you brake at slow speed? What about when your wheel is turned? How do you make the bike more upright without using body motion when coming out of a corner? What do you do if you lock your back wheel up? What do you do if you lock your front wheel? What do you do if you blow a tire? How would you describe countersteer? Tell me about parking lot drills. how can you lean or tuck the nose in more without body movement? Why is the friction zone so key? $50 says your hands will be hurting after riding because you are death gripping the bars too. Honestly, all defense thread posts aside, if you can not answer all of those in depth with confidence without looking them up you aren't ready for anythign but a Ninja 250 and MSF course and loads of drills. I.E - where you should be in the first place even if miracoulsy you knew all of that it doesnt mean you can put them into practice.

4) Outgrow what? You mean your mind gets used to faster speeds. Big deal. Just because you can hit a baseball from a tee doesn't mean you can play in the MLB. Just because you can point a car in certain directions and control a slide doesn't mean you can drive an F1 car. Just because you can ride a 1000 doesn't mean you are controlling it. You are just along for the ride my friend because I am letting you know right now you have zero clue what you are doing and you are asking to get hurt and hurt others around you.

5) oh my buddy started on one and he hasn't wrecked. Well its a good thing he hasn't, but he is 5000 times more likely too and chances are he doesn't know a thing about riding either. I find it funny the same guys who start riding on big bikes seem to also be the guys riding with little to no gear. Coincidence? Nope.

Do yourself the favor, don't be an idiot. Sell the bike and start with a starter bike. I am not even going to suggest to take the MSF course(s), because you will not learn even 1/400th of what you need to ride a liter bike safely. Be a fucking man and start on a starter bike not a liter track bike with turn signals.

I'm done, I'm going to go fly my F-22 jet since I have taken some lessons learning to fly a Cessna 172. I'm a big guy and I think I can handle it if I respect the plane.
To answer your questions:
1. I am not new to motorcycles (however I am newer to driving motorcycles on the streets which is a big difference)..
2. Not sure there is an answer for this.. Im also a bigger guy who isn't in my most comfortable sitting position when Im driving my supra either.. I own these cars and bikes because I love being on them and if I cant stand to be in my car for more than a few hours straight I will pull over gas up and stretch. The bike after riding now feels good and I will admit on longer trips you are waiting to see that gas station to fill up (but with only a 17.2l tank..Which is a lot bigger than most I get around 300kms to a tank and I can easily ride that long without breaks)
3. To be honest the only time I really use the back break is when im in a turn or really need to slow down fast (which typically I dont have to stop all of a sudden because I am paying attention, unless of course someone decides to run a light like they did last night then I used my back break as well as front) I apply it slowly (not actually slowly but able to feel and increase pressure as required) and gradually increase pressure.
I initiate a turn by countersteering and shifting body weight into the turn
Body position really depends on where I am driving and what speeds I am going at.. If I am on the highway I have my body compressed to cut down on wind resistance and my ass is further back on the seat to allow my body room to get down. my legs are always wrapped around the tank, pads of my feet on the pegs. If im driving around town or whatever I am pretty much right on the gas tank.
If I am required to brake in a turn I would downshift and use my rear break as required
Brake at slow speeds? depends on the reason for my stop. Typically I downshift and use my front break
If my wheel is turned I only use downshift and rear brake
To bring my bike back level without moving my body when exiting a turn you turn your handlebars into the direction of the turn to straighten out.
If I lock my rear brake up im assuming its for a reason like needing to come to a quick stop so I would release and reapply with less pressure right away while still using my front brake the same way for any stop
If I blow a tire I would (This would of course depend on how the bike feels as I have never been on a bike while this happened on the road, it has happened on a trail on a dirtbike) keep the bike as straight as possible and slowly come to a stop applying the brake to the wheel which is not blown.
If I lock up the front wheel I would release my brake and reapply (really unsure of how to answer that as if I locked it up it woudl be because I was about to re-end someone and I would be screwed either way)
countersteer I would describe as "push-steering" where you push on the side of the handle bar which you wish to turn.. this puts the bike at an angle where it will actually go in the opposite direction of your typically steering
Friction zone is so important because the friction zone in any car/bike/truck is important. You need to feel the clutch and use different parts of teh zone to go different speeds (especially with the 1k and such a tall first gear)
4. Outgrow it as wanting more out of the bike. I am not a track guy although I would like to enter a couple trackdays a year but I am looking more for wanting more in the street. (same reason anyone would upgrade from a stock TT setup to a single) Sure the stock tt is good enough to get up to speed with some pep and plenty of car to drive around any roads in North America.
5. I have never actually known anyone who started on a 1k streetbike, I was worried about it and was actually pretty scared to testdrive it but the guy gave me a few pointers and I keep my shifts below 6k and everything was tame and predictable.

Dont think I will sell it.. Its a higher mileage bike and is used and not worth close to what it is worth to me. I love the bike and have no issues at all with driving it. I am starting my streetbike career on a 1k and if you dont like it tough luck.

Im glad you can fly a cessna 172 and hope you enjoy the F-22..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.