Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've had this starting problem with my 96 n/a 5spd. It seems to take a couple of turns to start with just straight clicking...no turn over. I just took the red top optima out and got it tested at auto zone and they told me that it is a good battery with just low charge and to slow charge it for 8 hours or so...I just got the car back from the shop and they said that they had it on a charger which I hope was a slow charger (the guy at autozone said that if he hooked it up to his fast charger it would blow up) but when I got it back I noticed that there is some crusty green stuff coming from around the negative terminal. I thought that optimas were dry cell and I wouldn't see stuff like that coming out of it. Anyways I am thinking that the battery isn't that f'd up so I turn now to the starter...some guys at the shop told me that a starter is around 200 bux and the install would cost about 200 more. Does this sound about right? how can I be sure that it is the starter?
Sorry about the long post but I just got the car back from two weeks out and still can't do anything but look at the sup

·
Registered
697 Posts
It sounds like the starter isn't getting the juice to turn the car over. I would first get those terminals and connectors cleaned up with a battery terminal cleaner. It like a little cheap wire brush. Secure them down good. You can test the battery pretty well witha cheap battery test light, but I don't think it's the starter.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
If it just clicks sometimes, then cranks normally other times....I'd say starter contacts. Contacts themselves are like 2 bucks, but it's probably over an hour's labour to re and re the starter and install the contacts.

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
my Lexus SC did the same thing a year 1/2 ago, terminals started crusting over and it took longer and longer to crank over when starting. eventually it just clicked and the starter went out all together. so i replaced it. drove OK after that, but the batt. still had some build up on the terminal, and takes a little longer to turn over than before (have to hold the key on start a good 3-4 sec. before it starts, unlike before just flick the key and it would start). gonna replace the batt once i get the car up and running again after NA-T install and see if that helps. going to use another Lexus battery when I replace it, not an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mine started doing that about a week and a half ago and now my starter is gone as of two days ago. Hope your problem has a different turn out

·
Registered
951 Posts
don't know which model optima that is, but some of those dry cell's don't have the cranking amps you need. and if they do, you can't let the car sit too long without driving/starting it. if you hook up a battery charger and put it to engine start, leave it a few seconds, or minutes depending on how dead the battery is and start the car and it starts fine, then it's the starter.

the starter is 2 bolts, a positive and a negative connection and a harness connector. you can do it yourself

·
Registered
277 Posts
My TT does the same thing, sometimes the car will start up instantly..I can drive it around the block come back it will just have a single click when I turn the key over..not a bunch of clicks just once, brand new battery. People say its the starter going bad, only 130 for a remanufacture one at local parts store.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
blakev45 said:
My TT does the same thing, sometimes the car will start up instantly..I can drive it around the block come back it will just have a single click when I turn the key over..not a bunch of clicks just once, brand new battery. People say its the starter going bad, only 130 for a remanufacture one at local parts store.
Definetly would try the contacts before replacing the whole starter.

Many people confuse worn-out starter contacts with battery problems because if you jump it, the extra juice will often jump the gap and get it to crank anyways.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Northof49 said:
Definetly would try the contacts before replacing the whole starter.

Many people confuse worn-out starter contacts with battery problems because if you jump it, the extra juice will often jump the gap and get it to crank anyways.

so what does this entail starter contacts...any pics or shop manual help on this? I would love to do this myself instead of getting someone to do it for me and need to figure out something cause the battery isn't gonna get charged without a battery charger, which I don't have

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack your thread but in my case I tapped on the starter with a screw driver and it fired does that sound like contacts too? If so I'm interested in how to do this too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
hey supra man i live in cherry valley close to redlands if you need a charger let me know ill lend you mine and if you need the starter changed well let me know . oh ya i get discounts at toyota due to the fact that i work at ford i get discounts at all dealers. so let me know.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sounds like the contacts in the starter. I had the same thing happen on my Supra. It would start sometimes, and other times it would just click. The batter was fine and when it started, it ran fine. I bought new contacts and the little plunger that goes in the starter too. I had a friend change them for me (took him about 1/2 hour, but he knows how to do this quickly). That took care of the problem. I'd say 80% or more of people who have the starting problem need new contacts, not a new starter. New starters are pretty expensive. Check the dealer that Curt Ainger works for. Do search and you can find the part numbers you need. It cost me about $35 for all the parts, with shipping. Do that before you buy a starter. :)

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Couple threads on contacts from people that know more than I:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46889

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180547&highlight=starter+contacts

If the battery is good and fairly charged and the car cranks normally sometimes, and just gives you one big "click" other times, contacts are really common. They WILL wear out, so if your car has some miles on it, they are worn......just a question of how much.

Yep, sometimes tapping the starter or jumping it will buy you some starts.....of course, always hard to say 100% over the internet.....cheap place to start tho if you're doing your own labour.

·
Registered
624 Posts
What.s your mileage? If you get some clicks, then it turns over, its your starter. I have 180 K on my 94 NA and I am on my 3rd starter
- Original lasted til 90K
- 2nd lasted til 170K

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah my mileage is 142k miles and if it is the starter I'm gonna need to get kev to let me borrow his manual again so I can try and do this myself. I also have to give curt a call to try and get the parts to replace. hopefully this works cause I just got my bike rained on at work and that just pissed me off...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
supraman78 said:
Anyways I am thinking that the battery isn't that f'd up so I turn now to the starter...some guys at the shop told me that a starter is around 200 bux and the install would cost about 200 more. Does this sound about right? how can I be sure that it is the starter?
Sorry about the long post but I just got the car back from two weeks out and still can't do anything but look at the sup
Just go to Peb Boy and pick up a Bosch starter $134 + your old start for Supra and $40 for installation.

Been there done that, seriously the Bosch starter works great. You barely turn the key it fires right up immediately. I don't see why you would want oem Denso starter that cost almost double.

Replacing the cotacts on the starter might work and might not, it require more work than just replacing the starter itself.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
nsx4ever said:
Just go to Peb Boy and pick up a Bosch starter $134 + your old start for Supra and $40 for installation.

Been there done that, seriously the Bosch starter works great. You barely turn the key it fires right up immediately. I don't see why you would want oem Denso starter that cost almost double.

Replacing the cotacts on the starter might work and might not, it require more work than just replacing the starter itself.

so is that bosch starter a pretty standard replacement for our cars? what part number is it? and for sure it will be in stock at pep boys?
SR3236X?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts