Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turn the key and get the metallic click sound. this happens about 4 times before the starter say "oh what the hell I guess I'll start". Then she turns right over. This doesn't happen every time, but often enough to cause concern. Any ideas as to what might be causing this issue?

GE

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Time for a starter. It you can go the cheaper way and replace the contacts like I did about 10 years ago. Still going strong.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check those contacts first and then move into replacing the starter. SL93 That sounds like the easy way out. I'll do that and see what my resolution will be. Thanks... I just didn't know if there was something simple going on that could be resolved easier. Replace is what I'll do if the contacts are trashed.

GE

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Just order a contact kit and replace them. No investigative work required, but take your time to get the contacts adjusted properly per the manual. Will be under $20 total.

Al

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yep what they all said,I was having some weird starting issues, I wasn't sure, so I ordered the contacts, and changed them, and it was great, all problems went away, if you can remove the starter, you can surely change the contacts, it's very easy...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Im having exact same issues. after like 4-5 tries it starts. Did you ever fix your issue?
Every car I've had with a failing starter does that. On my old Toyota truck you'd have to sit there with the key in start and it would eventually crank and same with my land cruiser. Pull your starter apart and clean or replace the contacts inside. The tsrm has a procedure on rebuilding the starter. You can find it on mkiv.com or Stu hagens website.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good morning everyone. I'm looking in the manual and I have a1988 Supra Canadian A/T and I can't find the starter relay . It says it's in the passenger kick panel but it's not there. Can anyone help? The issue I have is I turn the key and nothing and after a few tries it will start. Can anyone help. Thanks and have a great day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts