Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
THE LAST NA
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this problem does not happen when it is cold!

the starter wants to make a clicking sound without turning when the engine is hot.....the gauge even reads 12 volts.....I can sit for a half hour trying to start it and nothing happends....Then i will come back and it starts right up....

the way i have been fixing it now is turning the crank by hand, that seems to get it out of the stuck spot and it starts right up when it is jammed....

any ideas? as i remeber, a register of 10 volts should get her to start....i have 12 volts and a jump start and it does not want to turn over some times....

I have a new battery and starter within the year....

Can anyone give me information on whats goings on: (solenoid, ground points, relay, ect)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
171 Posts
sounds like you have a bad starter. take it out and test it. just jumper a wire from your battery positive to your starter post and the battery negative to the casing. the reason its getting stuck is because metal expands when its hot so you must have a bad spot in your starter. that would be my guess.

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
Cables and possibly contacts on the starter. Heat causes resistance, corroded cables add resistance, all that resistance causes the amperage to kick up since the supply voltage is the same. The extra amperage could have worn out the battery (perform a load test on it) or burnt up the contacts on the starter.

·
4,931 Posts
Cables and possibly contacts on the starter. Heat causes resistance, corroded cables add resistance, all that resistance causes the amperage to kick up since the supply voltage is the same. The extra amperage could have worn out the battery (perform a load test on it) or burnt up the contacts on the starter.
Exactly this. The added resistance in the wire to turn the starter in turn lowers the current (voltage stays same). The lower current can make it click, but cannot make the starter turn over. I fixed this by adding a relay into the fray, and it starts up every single time now, no clicking or hesitation.

Lemme find the thread...

Here ya go, read up: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124724

·
THE LAST NA
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the link, i read the 4 page thread of mk3 owners who try to start there car and get a clicking sound....I stole the link below from that forum....I had a another car in which I wired that same relay up to a fuel pump becuause it was not getting 12V volts.

Is there any chance of replacing the OEM relay in passenger kick panel, or is the problem at the harness, or at the starter contacts?

edit:
I went out today to see it i had to take off the plenom to do the above...I reached down and disconnected the small relay wire from the starter. It had white gunky grease built up on it(no green buildup). I used a pick to clean it out, then i used some battery terminal cleaner and cleaned it again. You car do this w/o taking off the plenom, but i had to jack up the car to reinstall small realy wire to the bottom front of the starter because it was too hard from the top.

After cleaning this starter relay connection on the harness, Now I have no hesitaion and no clicks...I bet it will even start with a register of 9-10 volts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts