Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having the same common issue with starter having a life of its own and starting when it feels like it aka the contact points on the solenoid are rusty/dirty. i get the click then nothing, click then nothing, then starts right up. takes me random tries, twice to as many as six(this morning) tries.

can anyone tell me or show me w/ pic where the starter sits underneath the car? i was told its not that hard to get to. i read its only held by a couple of bolts (although one bolt is PITA to get to).

·
I pretend to be fast
1,030 Posts
Get under the car and look right where the trans meets the engine on the drivers side. You can clearly see the bottom of the starter. If you still cant find it, follow your positive battery cable down and it goes to the starter.

I have done it so many damn times in my supra, I now have it down to a science . The bottom bolt comes out just fine using an extension and 14mm socket, but the top bolt you will need about 18inches of extension, two swivels and a 14mm socket. Put a swivel at each end of the extension with the 14mm socket at the other end of the swivel. Feed the extension from behind the trans at about a 45 degree angle and it will come out like butter.

Also look here

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ill study this, i really appreciate it. Man I wish I knew a MKIV veteran around my parts... I'd buy him a round of beer just to educate me haha

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
mifesto said:
ill study this, i really appreciate it. Man I wish I knew a MKIV veteran around my parts... I'd buy him a round of beer just to educate me haha
michealvanle is in Jersey isn't he? I always hear the Jersey boys hootin and hollerin..might try to PM him?

Mark

·
Banned
977 Posts
mifesto said:
There are quite a few MKIV ppl in NJ... Try posting a question in the NE section asking for some help.. If you were closer I would come and help as the starter is quite easy to work on now... after 4 tranny installs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts