Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here is my situation, i am at school, the supra is at home. This is because the car starts once every 10-20 times and i don't wanna get stuck somewhere and have it not start.

I played with the starter actuater button (the one that is depressed when i push in the clutch(, that clicks like 3 times when i push in the clutch instead of one now! So I hear a click but the engine doesn't turn, I have heard i could have a bad spot in my starter, messed up teeth, or bad wire or need a new starter.

I need to know where is the best place to have this looked at and how much it costs to have Toyota replace my starter for me? Can I just take my car to toyota and show them the noise and they will help me from there or will they rape me with "Diagnosis" charges/? Thanks

Please any advice ASAP cuz i have no car right now! Nick

Y

·
0 Posts
starter problem

you can also take the starter out and bench test it to make sure that it is the starter and not the switch.. you can also test the switch by hooking a volt meter up to the starter lead and turning the key to the start poss. and seeing if you get 12volts... hope this helps...... good luck

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot guys!

I had the gas station check the starter and it was bad... i just got my car back and it works perfect, they charged me $265+tax and the Toyota dealership wanted $600+tax! SAved quite a bit.

Thanks Again, Nick

A

·
0 Posts
First I would check all connections, Corrosion could be a problem out in san Jose. I would try a brand new battery. That was my problem on top of the clutch switch. Try "hardwiring" the wires going to the clutch switch. I've priced starters when I had this problem and they weren't cheap. Pain to get to as well. Hope this helps! Alex 93 tt6spd hardtopper....getting a new paint job....

Y

·
0 Posts
Alex said:
First I would check all connections, Corrosion could be a problem out in san Jose. I would try a brand new battery. That was my problem on top of the clutch switch. Try "hardwiring" the wires going to the clutch switch. I've priced starters when I had this problem and they weren't cheap. Pain to get to as well. Hope this helps! Alex 93 tt6spd hardtopper....getting a new paint job....
yeah, dude, like this dude alex said it could be the connection like it was on mine, it just made a clicking noise like 50 (exagerating) times befor she would crank over. . .all i did was got under me supra, started to take off the starter to replace it but realized i was goign to need a universal joint (witch i didn't have) si i put her back together and she cranked over fine so fist befor yo pay anyone anything, crawl under there and check the connection. JUst unhook it clean it off and click it back on and see if that was it. . . .i hope it is

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys...

they tested the starter and it was going bad, so i just replaced it , only $280 after Tax so i guess thats ok.

Thanks Again, Nick AkA SoupSkees!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts