Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little more than once in while my car doesn't want to start. I have to turn it 8-10 times for it to catch. I know it can't be the battery because it is brand new. Is it the starter? If not, what could it be?

Thanks Guys,

Drew:devil:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Try to figure out under which conditions it won't start. Mostly thinks like how long since it was driven and temperature etc.

Could be ignition or fuel. Probably starter. I would still test my battery. A cell could have failed.

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
Your not clear on your question. When you say 8-10 times to catch do you mean that you have to try 8-10 times before the engine turns over of 8-10 times before the engine actually sustains normal idle? If you meant he first, tehn you might have bad gears on your flywheel or starter. If its the second, then you mighty have another problem. If yoru refering to the starter clicking or what ever before the starter actually clicks in then it might be the starter solenoid goign bad or the starter relay.

happy boosting.

·
651 Posts
No, 100% gauranteed your problem is the actual contacts in the starter. I have seen this same problem on my Supra, 4 Runner and many other Supras running around here in SA. It is VERY common on late model Toyotas. The brass contacts inside the starter wear down and do not make contact. Do not let anyone tell you that you must purchase a new starter. Simply go to Toyota and ask for a "starter rebuild kit". (not sure of the part #, but they have seen this problem many times) It is about $10 in parts to rebuild your starter.

It is a rather easy job to complete except there is this one little bolt that you will have a difficult time getting off. Not gonna tell you which one it is......you'll know it when you go to remove the starter!

Good luck and TRUST ME... it is the problem!

Thomas Kenyon

·
Registered
639 Posts
Starter Contacts

I just ordered these parts from Jay Marks yesterday to head off any impending disaster as my MKIV TT is my daily driver!! I think Jeff said with discount the 'kit' is like $8.64 per side and you need 2 sides or rather 2 kits to complete the job... So around $17 plus shipping and you will be in business!!! If you contact Jeff Watson at jay marks, he will know EXACTLY what you need!! 1-800-327-2087-Jeff Watson in Parts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts