Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what precautions should i take before attempting to start the 1jz in which i have no idea how long its been sitting? i've been researching and found that some people spray wd-40 into each cylinder and some put a few drops of oil into each cylinder, however this could cause a drop in compression.
if i were to do this, do i take the spark plugs out and spray in there?
what have most of you guys done?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
dunno about WD40.... I know it's supposed to loosen up anysurface rust on the cylinder walls , etc..., but idf the walls did have some oil on them, the WD40 would strip that too. To perform the both functions; cleaning of residue while lubricating the cylinder walls, I've seen a bit of tranny fluid used.

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i use a teaspoon of marvel mystery oil.i crank the motor with the plugs out.the oil will help loosen the rings.the excess oil will be shot out the cylinder,so you won't have to worry about hydralic lock.i used to do this to my pontiac 455 every year when i pulled it out of storage.

·
Registered
723 Posts
when I first started mine it went straight to redline, and then again the 2nd time we tried, turns out one of the wires was holding the throttle open lol. How much worse could that be for an engine?

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Here is what I did and it worked just perfect....

Your rings are set, so no worries there. You just need some oil up in the cylinders and the head. Just pull the EFI fuse and crank the car for about 20-30 seconds...you will then see oil pressure....you are good to go....put in the EFI fuse again, start it up!

Trev

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
supraturbo1987 said:
Here is what I did and it worked just perfect....

Your rings are set, so no worries there. You just need some oil up in the cylinders and the head. Just pull the EFI fuse and crank the car for about 20-30 seconds...you will then see oil pressure....you are good to go....put in the EFI fuse again, start it up!

Trev

YEAH!.... What he said....

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone, i just did what trev said and it worked out perfectly. the motor is now running with no problem.s thans again...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea you guys can come check it out if you want. i still can't drive it yet because i'm missing the transmission crossmember. but once i have that then i should be set to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts