Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im getting a 87 turbo soon and i want to know what is the best parts to start off with. im thinking like a good intake then exhaust and a BOV would be nice. I want to make the car sound nice and loud and the BOV even louder. so yea any suggestions to point me in the right directions would be awesome. thanks

·
Member Bushwood CC
357 Posts
Don't waste the money on an intake...invest it in a boost controller.

Do the exhaust though, that is an awesome investment.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
gtepowerplant said:
Don't waste the money on an intake

:wtf: If you want to run more than stock boost, you are going to need an aftermarket intake. A boost controller isnt really needed until later on.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
replace all the lines :) and i mean all o them cuz the one u dont is gonna blow and its gonna take u forever to track down....anyways.....
intake = 1
exaust = 2
turbo timer =3 <- unless you wanna work it out and sit in your car for a few mins after a hard run/ long drive
welcome to the club man. used to live in mountain top pa bout 10 mins from wilkes-barre... a set o snow tires might be nice up there too

·
...heading for 500+ RWHP
467 Posts
Performance modding is great and it all will come in due time, but I think that the first thing you need to do is make sure that your supra is reliable. If the engine dosen't already have a MHG (metal head gasket) then you will definitely need to get one! This will save you major headaches later on....:D Expect this to cost around $250-300 avg.if you do the work yourself (or with the help of an friend working for free!) A shop will charge around $800 or more to do this for you. A shop gave me an estiment of $950!!! Make sure the car is running up to spec. Give it a tune-up. If you have any performance issues or any system that deals with any aspect of performance/reliability that is running/operating below factory spec. needes to be addressed first. EX. Cooling sys., trany, suspension, intake sys...ect Check all belts and hoses and replace anything that is severly worn or damaged/cracked. If all this has been checked/done now you are ready to moddify!!!:D Start off with a intake....btw....make SURE your accordian pipe is in good condition and is not cracked anywhere....if it is damaged...REPLACE IT!!! Either get a new one from toyota for like $50 or have a shop make a aluminum one for you. now back to modding...next assemble a 3inch exhaust from the turbo back to the muffler. After that purchase a boost controller and set just below fuel cut (11.5 - 12psi) Congrats!!! You are now a bpu!!! Basicly follow the set up in the like in the post above....(very good stuff) Many of us here on SF are going for what we call BPU and RELIABLE!!! That is the best way to go. You will now have a fast car that, if you took care of that head gasket and any other problem areas, will not break on you and be ready to be safely taken to the next level!!! HAVE FUN!!!
:D

KRIS :cool:

In addition...as far as the loud exhaust and bov go...search the forums....there is LOTS of info on these topics to be found....the info you find should help you make a decision on what to get to suit your prefrence. Feel free to PM me anytime with any questions you may have....welcome to the forums!!

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Turbo timers are overrated, Even with my 60-1 ct26 i STILL havent got one!;)

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Ckanderson said:
Turbo timers are overrated, Even with my 60-1 ct26 i STILL havent got one!;)
Turbo Timers are GHEY. I have never owned one.... EVER. They are overated and never work right IMO. To do what i want them to do I might as well make my own. Dont waster your time. Have had my supra for over 6 years...... Just sit in your car for 30 seconds after you run it hard..... if you wernt running her hard... then forget about it..... you wont hurt a thing.

Just think about ALL the Audi and VW drivers with Turbo Motors.... think they are all waiting at the local supermarket or daycare? What about all the Big Turbo Diesiel trucks...... ever see those guys with Turbo Timers...... IMO... dont waste your time.

Trey

S

·
0 Posts
My dad had a 1994 Audi A6 Turbo, the thing was the WORST CAR EVER. It handled great, drove great and had GREAT Build quality. He treated this car soo well, I barely got to drive it lets put it that way. At 74,000 his turbo seals went and he lost oil pressure on the freeway of all places and his car craped out on the freeway. I mean im all for German styling and enginereing, but when it comes to audi. I cant stand them. Sorry guys a bit off topic. I mean check this out we have turbo supras in here with 170,000 miles and they are still on the original turbo, that is amazing. I LOVE asian cars.

·
American Muscle?
338 Posts
i see big turbo diesel trucks sittin at truck stops and wherever their deliveries are sitting and running at idle forever to cool down. they are hardly ever off and they have a lot better oil cooling and oil filtration than cars so they have less to worry about anyway~

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
SupraTrey said:

Just think about ALL the Audi and VW drivers with Turbo Motors.... think they are all waiting at the local supermarket or daycare? What about all the Big Turbo Diesiel trucks...... ever see those guys with Turbo Timers...... IMO... dont waste your time.
Just a side note : On our Peterbuilt grain trucks, and our swathers, you always need to sit in them for a bit after your done in order to cool down the turbo. I think everyone that owns any sort of large turbocharged vehical knows this & does it.
If you are talking about small Dodge disesiel turbo shit fucking shitters commercial trucks, half the owners are too stupid to realize whats going on.

As well, Most of those people who do that, probably know NOTHING about how an engine/turbocharger works, so they wouldn't know the difference of leaving it running or not. I know some car manufactures place safegaurds into the vehical so its harder for the brain moron to blow out their turbo IE : Toyota on the CT - 26 ;) Ever wonder why it was cooled with coolant as well as oil? Toyota's own ..warrenty safegaurd.. on people who just shut off there car's after running them, and then would blow their turbo after a while and come back to the dealership wanting it replaced for free. So, think of your coolant cooling aspect of the turbo as a ghetto'd turbo timer ;)

BK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts