Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
me me me me me me!!!
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read the sticky on starting problems but my particular issue i havn't come across yet. it's an intermitent problem; for example the car will start fine for a week and run strong with no problems. then all of a sudden the starter will just turn over indefinitely and the motor won't start like the ecu is getting a bad signal from something to do with spark or fuel.

i'm getting code 51 and from my understanding this is the tps or neutral start switch. the motor runs good when it starts which leads me to believe the the tps is asjusted correctly and my car is a manual there shouldn't be a problem with a neutral switch.

any speculation or help is greatly appriciated.
thanks. Brian.

·
me me me me me me!!!
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought that was referred to as the clutch start switch, and it works. when the clutch pedal is depressed the motor turns over.

i talked to a mechanic friend of mine who speculated that it was the cold start injector.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Ah, you are correct - the neutral start switch is auto tranny only, the clutch start switch is manual tranny.

Code 51 is listed as:

System: Switch condition signal

Diagnosis: No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, during diagnosis check.

Trouble areas:
- A/C switch circuit
- A/C switch
- A/C amplifier
- Throttle position sensor circuit
- Throttle position sensor
- ECU

Many folks with problems like this have found that simply tapping the TPS plug gently fixes it. If this helps, then either your TPS or your TPS wiring is showing it's age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts