Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background: Bought my 89 NA in April, spun a rod bearing 4 hours later, pulled the engine out, and got lazy over the summer. Everythings' back together as of a few weeks ago, and running great. I love these cars. I love them even more when they start :) After fixing all but one of the kinks in the electrical system, my car now starts randomly. I'm on a brand new battery, which still tests out with 90% life. Alt. tests fine, and I pulled my starter and cleaned every aspect possiable. I also pulled the starter relay and inpsected that, it was stuck closed. Fixed that problem, and the clutch switch works fine. What I hear, is the starter relay clicking, and the starter clicking
Now, for the symptoms.

I can go out, at any given time, and hit the key, and it'll start up and run beautifully, come out an hour later, it will not start. It is that random. I went for a half an hour ride with a buddy, parked, shut it off, then for kicks hit the key again and it would not start. Half an hour later I came back and it started right up without a seconds hesitation. It can also happen to the oposite. It won't start when I choose to leave, but will half an hour later. Somtimes it will start many times in a row, then not start. I ran around town, did about 8 errands, on my ninth stop, stoped starting :) I have only had this happen once, about two days ago, but I came out from a 2 day rest and the Voltmeter read 8v. however that's a one time thing... Does anyone have ANY suggestions at all?

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Actually, I have the EXACT same problem and I just replaced the starter. Still works sometimes, and not sometimes. Could it be battery cables or terminals?

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
that sounds like heat soak symptoms. runs it fine, turns it off, goes back an hour later and its harder to start...does remind me of heatsoak.

does your car crank over? or just click click click?

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Doesn't make any noise to my knowledge...But it works the 3rd or 4th time (cranks and starts ok)

·
Registered
144 Posts
i live a mile away from damnthesenames

the car clicks it does not turn over.

justin didn't you and mike replace the starter?

Bill

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had a problem like that at one time, it was the starter relay. You said you changed it though, so I would say you have a bad connection somewhere, either loose or corroded(sp?) or something.

If everything sounds normal and works right when the car starts like it should then it's almost got to be an electrical thing. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts