Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
personally I start spooling when the jackass behind me leaves his high beams on, and I reach full boost about 0.5 seconds later. My car on the other hand?!!?

I often see these questions about "when does it start spooling" and "when do you make full boost" Not to slam anyone but the turbo "starts spooling" as soon as you start the engine. And full boost is entirely dependant on when your gate opens up via the spring or boost controller.

I think a better question would be, at what point does it come out vacuum and at what RPM/Gear do you see xxPSI of boost.

Also, it's important to ask, what is the engine/tranny setup when you ask these questions to set a point of reference.

I know, I'm anal :nuts:

·
Banned
216 Posts
not anal, just a valid point.

good point on the "when does my car come out of vacuum"

·
Registered
923 Posts
To be more anal, gear vs RPM vs PSI does not reflect on actual response of the turbo. So what if you peg on the throttle at 4000RPM, but it makes full 20 PSI around 5 seconds later. That is still a lot of lag and the car would drive like a bag of sh*t. A good measurement also factors in "time" and the amount of power and torque created the moment the throttle is depressed :)

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
true.... it's important to understand this, especially when you're thinking about a new turbo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts