Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So occasionally, not every startup, my 2jzgte vvti starts up and starts revving up by itself quickly. So I have to shut the car off and try to start it again. Sometimes after the 2nd time it'll start normal and sometimes it takes 3 times.

The car idles and drives fine. It's like the throttle gets stuck open or something. It's weird. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
On a non-vvti version, there is a vacuum operated "throttle opener" on the throttle body that gives the car a little boost of air to get it started. Probably the same on the vvti.

It is the little plunger looking device that some people adjust to raise the idle speed, though you're not supposed to. Check the vacuum line.

It may be the idle controller causing the issue though.

Al

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try and find it. Any photo of it by chance? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
The VVTi throttle body does not have one.

·
AFK
275 Posts
ANytime the engine RPM goes up significantly, it is because something let in extra air.

I suggest
1. Pressure test (boost leak test) using compressed air
2. Seal up all leaks

If the symptom continues, then whatever device controls idle speed airflow (throttle body bypass) is malfunctioning and should be replaced (it is creating the leak, inside somewhere)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the same issue, ive been told its because the tps is on the way out
guys its a vvti, so the TB control all the air. no vaccum leak, its the ecu opening the tb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts