Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in NH an inspection requires that the OBD2 port on 97 and newer cars be hooked up for their computer to isse a sticker. It has to report all systems go. I have AEM - and I don't know much about the AEM. NH has no tailpipe sniffers.

I have a ECU simulator that will spit out an all systems go....

what do you guys do and how does your state handle inspections.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
ECU simulator??

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
best be careful with that simulator as if they run the engine it need to basically report back what they see.

AEM is not OBD2 compliant but if it is used like a piggy back it should not trigger any codes.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3200 posts and you don't know that AEM cannot piggyback? You got some weird AEM y splitter harness that no one else knows of?

I have a ECU simulator that I can use just to say hello to the states computer. It's nothing magical, and the shop has full knowledge of it's presence - they just need something to talk to the computer, that's all.

Short of that, I have ways to obtain inspection stickers.

The simulator I run costs about $200. For that loot, it might be worth just taking a stock ECU and powering it up with stacks of resistors on it so it sees the VSV's etc that it expects to. Probably more work than that, but you get the general idea.

-M

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
We use OBD2 in pa also. The computer will look for emission related codes with key on engine off and engine idling. I do emissions inpsections and as of right now if the computer won't connect it will allow to pass. I'd check with the stations in your area. I've had new cars not connect and it would still pass them. Alot of guys I know who want to pass someone who they know won't is to not even plug in the OBD2 :)

Mike

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, there are ways around it, and in Mass (TTBomb) the easiest way is to go lowell or lawrence, wag an extra $20 in the face of the inspector and leave him to do your "inspection".

That or beer works as well....

Here in NH we haven't quite got an adequate supply of latino owned repair shops to do that yet..... but we're getting there ;)

So I'm planning for the future when we start getting more strict with the inspections and I just wanted something that would fake out the state computer.

-M

·
Registered
165 Posts
98mkiv said:
yeah, there are ways around it, and in Mass (TTBomb) the easiest way is to go lowell or lawrence, wag an extra $20 in the face of the inspector and leave him to do your "inspection".

That or beer works as well....

Here in NH we haven't quite got an adequate supply of latino owned repair shops to do that yet..... but we're getting there ;)

So I'm planning for the future when we start getting more strict with the inspections and I just wanted something that would fake out the state computer.

-M
Lawrence and Lowell are the best places for inspection stickers. I need to get mine done soon too.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
98mkiv said:
3200 posts and you don't know that AEM cannot piggyback? You got some weird AEM y splitter harness that no one else knows of?

I have a ECU simulator that I can use just to say hello to the states computer. It's nothing magical, and the shop has full knowledge of it's presence - they just need something to talk to the computer, that's all.

Short of that, I have ways to obtain inspection stickers.

The simulator I run costs about $200. For that loot, it might be worth just taking a stock ECU and powering it up with stacks of resistors on it so it sees the VSV's etc that it expects to. Probably more work than that, but you get the general idea.

-M

basic electronics

signal not strong enough? you put a circuit to buffer and boost it and then split it. Not that hard. Tricking the ECU is also not that hard to do as it is just looking for digital signals of igntion or the specific event is looking for taking place. The FI's don't get that type of monitoring ;)

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
just the harnessing alone would be a major PITA and expensive (two fields harnesses?).

it's not a matter of signal strength, there's more to it than signal strength. When you'r talking a/d conversions and 0-5 inputs it's a bit more complex. It could be done, but why? FI gets resistance monitoring. no resistance, no injector, you get an error.....

like I said, it can be done, but just so you know, AEM is no piggyback.

This is one reason why the emanage ultimate is a great system. Inspections are no issue.
-M

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
98mkiv said:
just the harnessing alone would be a major PITA and expensive (two fields harnesses?).

it's not a matter of signal strength, there's more to it than signal strength. When you'r talking a/d conversions and 0-5 inputs it's a bit more complex. It could be done, but why? FI gets resistance monitoring. no resistance, no injector, you get an error.....

like I said, it can be done, but just so you know, AEM is no piggyback.

This is one reason why the emanage ultimate is a great system. Inspections are no issue.
-M

well you didn't mention cost ;) lol

I know it is a pain to do but it CAN be done. Just how much does one want it is the question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts