Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i hope this is the right thread. I have searched and havnt found much on this. If i missed something please post a link for the thread, my apologies.

so my steering on my 94tt is super soft. Softer than my 2002 toyota tacoma with 225k miles even! When in a corner, or at speeds over say 35mph it just feels super soft. I have good tires, tein coilovers, poly rack bushings and still the feel of the wheel sucks. I can take a corner in my tacoma or my wife's Lexus and I can feel the firmness of the steering wheel in the corner. On my mk4 it feels like butter when I turn the wheel... too much butter.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

My initial thought was rack bushings so we just did those and noticed very little change. My next thought is the speed sensor that controls how much power steering assistance is given based on speed.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,549 Posts
My next thought is the speed sensor that controls how much power steering assistance is given based on speed.
Could be that, or tires, or air pressure in the tires. As a test only, maybe try unplugging your steering rack electrical connector and see if you notice any difference.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
When have you rotated the tires last?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tires are not the issue, I am an experienced driver and I have been through my share of advanced drivers courses so I understand vehicle dynamics quite well. The issue is steering related. The poly rack bushings helped a bit, but the tire pressure is good, tires are evenly worn etc. Control arm bushings are good etc.

I don't have a tsrm yet... need to buy one, but I'll see if I can locate the fuses you guys speak of and try that.

The feel is simply too easy, like butter. I can feel feedback, so I don't think solid rack bushings will solve this. Its not dull, just waaaay to easy to turn the wheel. I have compared it to 6 other cars now and it's very apparent that it feels like the wheels are driving through whipped cream when I turn. That's the best way I can explain it.

·
From the land down under
4,235 Posts
When I installed an FFIM in my car a couple of years back, I had to relocate a lot of the wiring, and whilst doing so, I accidentally forgot to plug back in the speed sensitive PS plug, and whilst its harder to turn while stationary/low speed, its far nicer to drive it like that, both on the road, and track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts