Supra Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

Β·
Registered
1986.5 7m-GE c204/trFD12/aG285/tmW58
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently was given a 1986.5 Supra and after getting it reliable I started with the amenities. One of these was the steering wheel column.. it was totally seized from 5years sitting in his yard.. the tilt was easy to free up, a little kriol and a few slapy slaps and perfect.. but the telescope feature was STUCK.. I pulled the column covers off and found the rubber stopper literally falling to pieces when I breathed on it lol.. so I scraped it all of and started spraying the kriol on it.. btw this is like the best penitent I know of, I'm probably spelling wrong but it's the correct letters πŸ˜…. I released the Paul and gave it the slaps and nuthin. I did this for 9 days, every morning I got in to go to work, on my lunch breaks And when I got in to drive home. I even used a little pecking hammer every time I sprayed it. during these days I noticed some bolts in the column "upper bracket" that holds the column "main tube". I did some research and found out the 10 mil bolt is a stopper and the clamping Paul HAS REVERSE THREADS not the leaver nut it's regular.. I pulled both of those out to access more lube points..of course I filled these holes every chance I gotπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚... Tonight I went out to grab something out of the car and decided to run threw the smacks again... Started with the double handed kerSMACK on the front of the steering wheel and it moved in just a little bit.. naturally I got really excited 😬 I wipe off some of the crud from open square section on top of the upper bracket .. soaked with the kriol and the next slap bottomed it out, πŸ˜›woo yeah here we goπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘Œ.. I gave it a tug and it didn't move....... I decided to give a proper snatch and it it slid out a decent distance. Wiped off the crust and resoaked... Pushed back in without slappy and pulled out.... All the way out πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I had the 10mil stop bolt in the ashtray and the ignition key turned on witch released wheel turn-lock... Causing "steering-wheel in lap" syndrome πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ on a good note I discovered that the splines of the main shaft are heavily greased so the seizing is definitely caused by the aluminum "upper bracket" that holds the column tube in place..
Unofficial repair is: remove anything that gains more access to the main tube, spray all accessable points persistently with a good penetrant.. give a few snacks if with hands and a small hammer every time penetrant is applied.. once some movement is achieved,REINSTALL RETAINER BOLTπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ once the main tube is completely extended, wipe off crudd and spray again..
unless you care then I suggest doing what I plan to do later and pull the main tube out (paying caution to the wire harness on the under side of the main tube and clean the tubk and bracket to smooth sliding surfaces and apply a small film of anti seize, ensuring this don't happen anain

P.S. Smack with caution, all the slappy smacks caused the clips on my cruse control buttons to break.
The size of the story is due to lack of information on this subject πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘
PXL_20210612_022539287.jpg

PSA:no Supras where harmed during this particular repair..

1 - 1 of 1 Posts