Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Great White
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, what could cause my wheel to be off even after getting an alignment on my car? It doesnt shake when driving and my wheels are wearing off evenly. The only problem is... when im driving on a straight road... my steering wheel is turned to the left! Any ideas?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I left the alignment place once to find the same thing. I took back and told them and they corrected it. Dont know how to do it myself though.

·
Banned
216 Posts
do you have coilovers? alot of normal alignment places can't handle aftermarket suspensions, so maybe instead of admitting it, they just scammed you? :dunno:

·
Registered
660 Posts
it could be your rack and pinion , you should have that checked out my friend had a similar problem on his lexus sc300.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Go back to the alignment shop and make them fix it. For some reason, it seems as though the everyday alignment guy just can't handle a Supra. At least, in my experience. I've had absolute nightmares with mine. Finally got it right after the third alignment shop, and a total of six visits. If you can find a high performance shop that does alignments, go there. Most likely, they will have better luck with a more sporty suspension. If you think about it, it makes sense - the average alignment is done on a Maxima, or Taurus, or Accord, or whatever. They hardly ever do sports cars.

To the point: Go back! And continue to go back until you are 100% happy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm having the EXACT same problem with my steering wheel too even after an alignment. I was just assuming the steering rack needs to be replaced.

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Depending on how far off center the wheel is, it could be due to the crown of the road.

·
Great White
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI. I took the car back and he said the previous place I had an alignment done didnt center the steering wheel before making the alignment. He didnt think he had to because normally you dont need to he said. Anyway, he recentered the steering wheel and then made the alignment. Drives perfect now!

·
Registered
185 Posts
mysupratoy94 said:
FYI. I took the car back and he said the previous place I had an alignment done didnt center the steering wheel before making the alignment. He didnt think he had to because normally you dont need to he said. Anyway, he recentered the steering wheel and then made the alignment. Drives perfect now!

YAY! Ha ha - I told you Supras were different. ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
They actually have to center the steering wheel after the alignment. It is the last step and easy to do yourself, but if you paid a shop to do it, why would you. All they do is adjust the tie-rod ends the same amount on both sides until the wheel is straight.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
mysupratoy94 said:
Exactly.
Most techs I have run into are too lazy to center the wheel first. And in my case, they don't get paid if they don't center it.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
So why is the Supra different and needs to have the steering wheel centered?

Glad to hear that thats all it was :bigthumb:

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Jaxx said:
So why is the Supra different and needs to have the steering wheel centered?

Glad to hear that thats all it was :bigthumb:
Have you ever seen a MkIV steering wheel?

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
I have ALWAYS had the same problem. I will have to have it checked out. Thanks guys!

Joe

·
Registered
682 Posts
HOLD THE PHONE GUYS!!!! Centering of the steering wheel has nothing to do with it being a Supra. It has to do with a lazy tech that did not finish the job he was paid to do. I always look at my wheel when I pick up my car. If the wheels are straight and the steering wheel isn't, I find the manager. And yes I have aftermarket suspension, that has nothing to do with it either.

·
Great White
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
97twinturbo said:
They actually have to center the steering wheel after the alignment. It is the last step and easy to do yourself, but if you paid a shop to do it, why would you. All they do is adjust the tie-rod ends the same amount on both sides until the wheel is straight.
Dave... youre right! The wheel needs to get straighten AFTER the alignment. I had to take my car back a 3rd time. The second time they did the opposite! My steering wheel was 90% better the second time but was still off a bit. I asked them to redo it but this time centering the wheel after and it worked perfect, and of course all alignments where done at no cost! :bigthumb:

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
thank you barton. The number of uninformed posters offering advice is kind of scary. Align any car with a steering wheel and this could be an issue.

·
Registered
185 Posts
turbomx5 said:
thank you barton. The number of uninformed posters offering advice is kind of scary. Align any car with a steering wheel and this could be an issue.
I agree about the uninformed posts. I see it every day. I hope I'm not being lumped into this group, though! I want to be helpful! :) My advice to go back to the shop was good. However, I am the guilty party on spreading the rumor that Supras are different. I suppose I could have explained my thoughts better. For that, I apologize. Supras have the same basic working parts as any other car, so they're not actually "different". Maybe I should have said that they're "special". It just really seems as though no simple task is simple with the Supra. At least, in my experience. Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts