Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to change out the steering wheel, and what tools are required? I have a 93.5 steering wheel and am changing to the same(new) Alex 93 tt6spd hardtopper

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's not hard...
Take the access panels off, then take out the two screws for the airbag, and be careful handling it. You'll need a puller to get it off after taking the center nut off, they're available at just about any sears or auto store.

If you're going to do any work on the Sup yourself I'd say get the shop manuals from Toyota. They tell you step by step on how to do just about anything, well except for taking apart the 6-speed...:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
You'll need a Torx set (#25 bit I think), a flathead screwdriver, and a 19mm socket with an extension. I didn't need to use a steerinwheel puller.

Have the steeringwheel perfectly straight. Unhook your battery, take the two access panels off the side of the steeringwheel and then use a the torx key and take the screws out. Carefully lift the horn/airbag off and unhook the 2 harnesses (the airbag harness has a special lock you have to unclip, it's pretty straighforward) Once you have the airbag off, just hold the wheel tightly and unscrew the nut. Make a note of the wheel position grab it @ 3 and 9 o'clock and wigle it off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sorry to bring an old post back up but I will be doing this this weekend, once the airbag is out and unplugged it won't go off will it? I don't think so but just want to make sure since I will be shippping it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
TC2Supra said:
Sorry to bring an old post back up but I will be doing this this weekend, once the airbag is out and unplugged it won't go off will it? I don't think so but just want to make sure since I will be shippping it.
long as you disconnect the battery, it wont..i changed mine to a 98 wheel. no problems here.

·
Registered
780 Posts
if the steering wheel is not straight with the wheels, (we slightly messed up the alignment on the rack but didn't have time to fix it), should I first get the proper alignment done or should I just turn the steering wheel straight before I swap on the Sparco one?

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
BOOST ALMIGHTY said:
About how long did it take you guys to do this???
Honestly it is super easy. Infact I didnt even need any special tools other than the torx bit #25 I believe to remove the two screws. After doing it once, I could do it in less than 20 min. I upgraded to a 98 steering wheel.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,088 Posts
cwtt said:
Honestly it is super easy. Infact I didnt even need any special tools other than the torx bit #25 I believe to remove the two screws. After doing it once, I could do it in less than 20 min. I upgraded to a 98 steering wheel.
Really easy, just pull service covers use the torx pull the airbag off. and loosen the big nut, leave the nut on with only afew thread hanging, pull hard and wiggle at the sametime, and it will come off. The reason you leave the nut there is you don't pull too hard and knock yourself off when the wheel comes loose.

If your installing a oem wheel to another oem wheel then it only goes on pretty much one way. So if your alignment is off a little it wont matter. If you have a sparco just play with the hub until you get it pretty close to where the stock wheel was sittin when you pulled it off. It takes me about 5 mins to take my steering wheel off (swapped to a 2k1 GTS wheel).

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
TC2Supra said:
Most airbags have a capacitor in it so it is "live" for a short period of time after the battery dies. When you unplug the battery make sure its unplugged for atleast 30+ minutes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts