Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi having some trouble getting my steering wheel off got as far as getting the horn and the big bolt in the middle off but the steering wheel still did not come off. am i missing anything? do i need a special tool?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, as always the right too is half the job:)
You want a steering wheel puller, which is nothing but
a little plate with 3 or 4 tapped holes. The 2 or 3 on the side for bolts that thred into
the arms of the steering wheel, and a big bolt in the center
for pushing on the center of the steering column.

Last time I needed one I rented it from canadian tire. I'm sure they have
it in a friendly auto parts store near you.

take care
R.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also rented one from Canadian Tire when I needed my steering wheel off.

Matt

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
i used an impact gun to loosen the nut. then i threaded it back on about 4 turns, and pulled on the wheel to break it loose, then i took the nut back off, and just pulled the wheel off. it took like 6 minutes.

i treaded the nut back on so when i pulled on the wheel, i didn't smoke myself in the jaw for the second time... ;)

-shaeff

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
get a puller and pull it off right, it will POP when it comes off

REMEMBER to mark the relationship of the shaft to the wheel or your wheel will be off!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
when i replaced mine i just hammered it off cause i didnt need it anymore so i didnt care if i messed it up, just becareful, dont get too crazy with the hammer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i treaded the nut back on so when i pulled on the wheel, i didn't smoke myself in the jaw for the second time...
-shaeff

HAHAHA, sorry, thats just flat out funny.
James

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got it off but forgot to mark it F*** is there anything i can do to fix this. i dont want my wheels to be off. any advice?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Put it back on, drive car, note how far off it is. Remove wheel. Replace wheel in correct spot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok trying to put the wheel back on and was wondering if i should slam it in with a hammer or is there any other way of doing it? because i kinda put it in but dont know if it went in all the way coz i tried putting back the horn and it did not fit in properly :scratch:

·
Registered
596 Posts
mk3dude said:
ok trying to put the wheel back on and was wondering if i should slam it in with a hammer or is there any other way of doing it? because i kinda put it in but dont know if it went in all the way coz i tried putting back the horn and it did not fit in properly :scratch:
when you tighten the nut down, it will go in as far as possible, unless you strip the threading or something

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Tighten the nut, it will pull the wheel onto the shaft, there's no need to get rough.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did tighten the nut down but for sum reason the damn horn wont get fitted in properly so thats why i was wondering if i needed to push the wheel in by slammin it with a hammer.

Thanks guys.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
you dont need a steering wheel puller for these cars or RX7's. i know from experience, remove the nut, leave it on a few threads and pull the wheel on alternating sides... as in, working it side to side and itll break free. on my RX7, there is a pin on the turn signal canceler that locates into the steering wheel. my wheel wouldnt slide onto the splines because it was off, and the Canceller pin wasnt in the bore... as i tightened it down, it cracked the canceller assembly... so make sure that you put it on RIGHT... do NOT force it on if it wont go on. i cant remember for sure if the supra is the same way... but, if its lined up right, the steering wheel will slide onto the splines almost all the way. then, as you tighten the nut down, itll pull it down the last tiny bit.

btw, the first time i pulled a steering wheel... i ALMOST jacked myself in the grill because i didnt put the nut on... lol. luckily my cat-light reflexes and speed of a mongoose saved my face!

·
Registered
596 Posts
flubyux2 said:
btw, the first time i pulled a steering wheel... i ALMOST jacked myself in the grill because i didnt put the nut on... lol. luckily my cat-light reflexes and speed of a mongoose saved my face!
sure thing Ace Ventura :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts