Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/09/obama.stem.cells/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama signed an executive order Monday repealing a Bush-era policy that limited federal tax dollars for embryonic stem cell research.
President Obama signs the executive order on stem cell policy Monday at the White House.

President Obama signs the executive order on stem cell policy Monday at the White House.

Obama's move overturns an order signed by President Bush in 2001 that barred the National Institutes of Health from funding research on embryonic stem cells beyond using 60 cell lines that existed at that time.

Obama also signed a presidential memorandum establishing greater independence for federal science policies and programs.

"In recent years, when it comes to stem cell research, rather than furthering discovery, our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values," Obama said at the White House.

"In this case, I believe the two are not inconsistent. As a person of faith, I believe we are called to care for each other and work to ease human suffering. I believe we have been given the capacity and will to pursue this research -- and the humanity and conscience to do so responsibly."

More in the link...

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I knew that was coming. I am a registered republican, but tired of these fucking religious people trying to roadblock advance of medicine. But the moment they need a triple bypass surgery or cancer treatment they demand the latest fucking technology at any cost. Sometimes i want to say if you preach "god's will" maybe you should let nature just takes it course and not get any treatment at all.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Good thing he's concentrating on fixing the important stuff (i.e the economy). Maybe next week he'll pick out a new rug in the Lincoln bedroom.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Using embryos for the the cells was deemed immoral thus unfit for society from Bush and Cheney's evangelical sandbox.

·
Administrator
8,398 Posts
As long as obama stops giving money away and fucking up the market I don't give a shit what he does.
Fully support this....but yeah Bush didnt' have any role in the state of the current economy:wtf:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Doesn't this provide some additional incentives for people to abort though? Given that companies would be willing to pay for these cells to research with, it's likely going to become a normal marketable good like any other, with companies bidding for supply. Not really getting into the moral issue, but it should alter population growth to some (likely tiny) extent.

I suppose if they limited testing to the cells found in umbilical cords and placenta, that wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think Obama actually addressed that exact scenario. He said something of overseeing it.
Im not too sure.
Women get payed for their eggs now anyways I don't think there will be much of a difference.

Id still like to see funding mostly done in the private sector. At least now it its fully out in the open and more grants can be available to it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts