Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am really itching to get more bass in the Sup......I have decided to go with 2 JL audio 6w0 subs......I have not decided on the enclosure yet, but it will be a sealed one.

The 6w0's are available in the 4 ohm or 8 ohm variety.

For the amp, I was thinking that the Alpine MRP-T220 would be a great match for the subs (also, considering I have an Alpine CDA-9813 HU and 2 pairs of Alpine Type S 6.5" Coaxials)

The max rating of the subs is 75 watts RMS.

The Alpine MRP-T220 amp is rated at 70W x 2 at 2 ohms, 50W x 2 at 4 ohms, or 140W X 1 at 4 ohms.

Powerwise, I think the amp is just what I need.....

Which way would you guys go? 2 ohms or 4 ohms? 2 channel or mono?

I am thinking about doing the 140Wx1 setup with 2 of the 8 ohm subs.....does this make sense?

Or, should I wire each sub seperately and do 70Wx2 at 2 ohms with 2 of the 4 ohm subs?

Your opinions/comments are greatly appreciated....

Thanks,

Asheesh

·
I pretend to be fast
1,030 Posts
I'm by far not a stereo expert, but I do know some. If it were me, I would get a more power subs than just 75w. But with that setup the amp and subs should be ok. Also I would go with the 2ohms.

·
Registered
261 Posts
here's a classic long answer to a short question (i know a fair share about car audio)

1st don't use the max power of the sub as a hard and fast amount to choose the amp by. Amps will run cooler and sound better if you lower the gain (in turn lowering the power to the subs). So a 300w amp turned down will be better than a 75w amp running full blast. The 300w amp will be more expensive and bigger so you have to take that into account. I have a 1500w RMS amp running 2 10s at about 150w a piece in my car. Amp is huge but is has the power if i need it.

I usually go 4 ohm subs, because in the future you can run them at 2 ohms (in parallel) and if you have an amp that can support that into 1 channel you can get alot more power. Also 4ohm subs tend to have smaller box specs.

You might want to look at the MRP-M350 (a monoblock sub amp 200w X1 @4 ohms and 350w X 1 @ 2 ohms.) Run it at 2 ohms so it'll be 350/2 = 175w per sub and turn the gain down and i think you'll be alot happier. The amp looks to be about $40 more expensive if that concerns you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,

Thanks for your input. After thinking about what you said and doing a little more research, I have decided to switch up my amp selection a bit. I will go with that Alpine MRP-M350 and go with 2 JL Audio 6w0 4 ohm speakers......Then I can run them both at 350Wx1 without the amp breaking a sweat.

Thanks again for your advice,

Asheesh

·
Registered
261 Posts
No problem. Make sure that you built a good quality box to the JL specs too (they'll come with the speakers). A proper box and placement is probably the biggest element in a good sounding sub.

Good luck. post the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts