Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, Steve. Just when you thought the Wheel Fitment Guide would help...:D

Jim's car looks BADASS. The 18X11 rears with 49mm offset look amazing, but I know they aren't supposed to fit well without lip trimming. Jim seems to think they may not rub. Is it possible that under heavy action (launching, cornering, braking...) that is when he will see the rubbing? It sure looks damn close in the photos.

I have found a set of 18X11 wheels with 50mm offset that would look REALLY good on my Supra with P295 rears. Is fender lip trimming necessary as a "just in case" action, or will they really rub?

Oh, yeah: I assume an 18X10 with 40mm offset will have the same "wide-body" appearance?

Thanks, again, Sensei Jarvis-san. :p

P.S. Check you PM's.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My best friend ran a Kenisis K58 18X11 on his 94 supra. He was running a 325/??/18 MXX3 and absolutely had to trim the fender lip. More importantly he had to take a rubber mallot and pound the inner frame rails to get the tires not to rub. This is not a big deal just something that you must be aware of when attempting to run this combo. In addition when the car was jacked up the tires hit the springs. He was running an Eibach/Gab spring/shock combo. This is the largest tire you can make work on the rear without streching the fenders.

Once the lips were trimmed and the frame rail was pounded in, in those few spots every thing worked perfectly under all conditions.
This person is one of the hardest driving persons on the street. So if his did not rub I doubt yours will after the above mentioned mods.

Also, considering that you are running a slightly less wide tire you may have less modifications.

Your car will handle awsome with this wide of a rim.

Hope this helps.

-pete

·
3,148 Posts
It will only rub under hard cornering and acceleration.

An 18x11" wheel with a 295/30 will be so close to rubbing it is hard for me to say as every car is slightly different. Your alignment (how much negative camber your running) will also affect whether this will run or not. I do like Jim and install it and see if you have a problem. If you don't, leave the fender lips alone. If you do, have them cut/rolled. Either way for normal street driving this setup would rub very little and only minimally.

The 18x10" would definitly give you the same wide body apperance, but you would need to cut/roll your fender lip to get anything larger than a 265/35 to fit.

Later, Steve

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Steve! :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts