Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got spark, compression, and fuel.... eng is "in time" but car doesn't run.

I've moved the cps 180, I've moved it 1 tooth before, 1 tooth after, I've spent 4 Saturdays trying to get it to crank up... with no luck. I first thought that spark was weak... and not firing when down in the head. I can pull all the wires and stick spark plugs in them, and watch all of them fire... nice blue fire.

I can check the spark plugs, and they are all wet. I disconnected the cold injector just incase it was sticking open... still no help. I've removed plugs, disc. the injectors and cranked the car over to dry out the cylinders... put the plugs back in and they just get wet with fuel again.

I turn the ignition switch to the on position, and both sides of the fuel injector terminals have 12volts... is this normal? One side blinks when cranking... so I figure that when the one side goes low, then there is a diff. in voltage and that makes the injector work.

I've checked all my grounds, all my wire connections... and all checks ok... I've tested the ignitor with the book checks... and all is good. I have no codes stored.... It's driving me, my mechanic dad, and my wife nuts (cause I'm working on it so much.

Has anyone ever had this problem? To have fire, but plugs get wet... and no start? It looks like I will take to to Toyota. I work at a Nissan dealership as a Service Advisor, and I know how dealerships work. They are not super hero's.... just men... (the mechanics). I can see it now. Well, 1st we are going to have to put an engine harness in before we can go any further. Then they are going to try to justify swapping $400 ignitors, cps sensors... coils... etc at my expense.... until I say... no. And then want me to come get my car.

I am so damn bummed. My car was running.... just knocking. I took out the motor, took the oil pan off and had the crank turned, and put bearings in it. I also fixed an intake manifold leak @ #1 cylinder (gasket). But it was running / cranking fine. Since I've put it back together.... it just won't crank / run.

I've checked all my body, engine grounds... etc, triple checked cam timing, crank pos sensor... etc.

Anybody have any idea's I can try as a last resort?

·
Registered
335 Posts
did u make sure ur alarm is disabled?
can't hurt to give it a try,
just lock the doors and use the key to open the passenger side door first and then go back to the driver side door and open the door with the key.
this procedure will disable the stock car alarm.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
this may sound silly but, take off the oil cap and see if the cams are spinning when you crank. another thing is take off the upper cover and make sure the cams are aligned w/ the crank mark. ive seen timing belts slip and cause cam timing to be off or timing belt snapped. worth a look.
good luck

dave

edit: i just reread your post. did you check ignition timing or cam timing?

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
faulty wires in the cps plug... give em a wiggle then go crank again :)

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
suprra_girl said:
faulty wires in the cps plug... give em a wiggle then go crank again :)

good call. altho usually if the cps wires are hosed you wont have a spark at all. but its still worth a look. very common failure point.

·
DO WORK!!
2,275 Posts
You might be off on your crank..... I had this happen to me once.
I brought it back around 360 and re timmed it and it fired right up.
You may notice that you have to rotate the crank twice to bring it back around to TDC.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm with Dave. If you are 100% sure it is getting fuel and spark it has to be timing related. Cams are probably out of phase (timing belt installed wrong, cams not aligned right, broken timing belt, CPS shaft broken, etc. etc..)

Dale H
87T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts