Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a bunch of rolls on the freeway. 5th, 4th and 1 time went into 3rd. I was surprised, he beat me everytime..... :tear:

I would pull a bit, maybe a car length, but by the time we got over 100mph, he would get beside me then start to pass.

I dont get it, thats kinda pathetic isnt it? Thats got like, 215WHP I believe, and it's the PT-Cruiser engine?

Well, to make me feel better, I have a 2inch catback, likley not boosting much, who knows? Hopdfully thats my problem......

I feel sick... :barf:

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have a 3" setup im working on, just need to get some flanges then have it all welded up, but hmm, so, it shouldnt be surprising I guess then?

Shit, I woulda gone BHG if I was pushing a stock 7M the way I was pushing the 1J, that or rod knock lol.

Edit: I took a look under the hood, looked factory besides the CAI. He looked at my motor and was saying "Twin turbo, really?" while looking at the Intake side of the motor, so......

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have no idea how much I get shit for the name and avatar on this forum.... It just never ends

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
srt4s usually trap 100-103 bone stock and run 13/7-14s with a good driver. Ive never seen one dyno under 215 whp either...hell mine did 220 hwp and 240 ft lbs and its just like out of the factory.

i dont think they are as slow you as think they are.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
i havent run into one of those neons, but Id be more than surprised if a stock one pulled on my BPU 1j, espically at over 100 mph. Even stock you should be killing that car. Does your car run well? Get a boost gauge they are like $40 u might have a boost leak or something.

~scott

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
STR-4's are nasty once modded, I've taken down my fair share of them, but also got my doors blown off from em too...

If you know how to launch you can take em from a stop easy, but on a roll, they're lighter, and have about the same gear ratios

the only real difference that everyone overlooks is that the power ratings is to the ground while the supra power rating is at the flywheel...

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scottiedawg66 said:
i havent run into one of those neons, but Id be more than surprised if a stock one pulled on my BPU 1j, espically at over 100 mph. Even stock you should be killing that car. Does your car run well? Get a boost gauge they are like $40 u might have a boost leak or something.

~scott

Just bought one today off ebay, hopfully have it sometime next week.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
it's your exhaust. 1J needs to breathe. that 2in exhaust is sucking all of your power. Especially in top end...

Let the bitch breathe!

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OneJoeZee said:
it's your exhaust. 1J needs to breathe. that 2in exhaust is sucking all of your power. Especially in top end...

Let the bitch breathe!
LOL, ya thats what I was thinking to. Maybe 2 more weeks or so, and 3inch will be on.

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
Before I built my Cressida, I had a 91 MK3, and I was running about 12psi on the stock CT-26, and it would destroy stock SRT-4's all day, from a roll or a dig. (7M-GTE)

I also remember running a highly modded SRT-4 in it, it was running 19psi he told me, and it was dead even from a 45mph roll until he sprayed, then he left my ass!

So ya, work on your exhaust, and make sure you aren't throwing any knock codes and stuff.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Is your 1j MK3 fully tuned and BPU'd? I'd say check your boost as well. VERY IMPORTANT... get a wideband. I raced one when I was untuned. I was pushing about 11 psi and we started from a 2nd gear 30 mph roll. He honked 2x and LEFT. He pulled hard thru second and I missed shifted but when I hit 3rd, I caught him. AS SOON AS I hit 4th, I started walking him HARD. Come to find out that my car was running bad but in 4th A/F would go to 12.1 and it would pull hard and strong (almost as if I downshifted). Get FULLY tuned, check for leaks, plugs or anything else out of the ordinary. And crank it up a little. SRT-4s are quick, but I can still take 'em. Especially on the highway!!!!!!! At the track, you need to get a good launch (2.0 60'). HTH

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not tuned at all. I'm in the dark as far as my boost goes untill wednesday when my gauge comes in the mail, factoty NA catback, and thats it. Untuned and proboly not building up to factory boost lvls with the exhaust. At least I kinda could hang with him, definatley woulda had my ass handed to me in my last '88 NA. I just thought the 215HP rating was at crank for these cars, and thought it was low so, eh..... I'm gonna get my gauge, get my 3inch catback installed (with Trust 3inch DP) and tune/dyno the car and see what its got.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
with that little ass stock NA exhaust, you're probably making less power than a bone stock JZA70. sooooo...

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
OneJoeZee said:
with that little ass stock NA exhaust, you're probably making less power than a bone stock JZA70. sooooo...
haha ya, a stock n/a exhaust will definately kill your performance.

·
Jesus Wind
1,205 Posts
Godzilla said:
He also could have lied about the mods. Maybe it was a stage 1 or 2?
Stg1 dosn't add much power and give you more midrange and not any peak, stg 2 helps alittle.

The stock srt-4 turbo sucks, I hated it. That thing is so damn small. Heres a pic to compare it to my 60trim:

4th gear was when my stock turbo would start to suck ass.

Maybe you can find him after you get your exhaust put on and go for a rematch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts