Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m doing a 1jz swap on my 1988 MK3 and I just picked up a 1JZ-GTE VVT-I out of a JZX-110 and it comes stock with a single turbo. I’m trying to find an intercooler for it but all I can find is the aftermarket single turbo or the stock twin turbo intercoolers. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find one or if the aftermarket single turbo intercooler will work?
-Thank You!

here’s the link for the aftermarket single turbo intercooler-https://www.driftmotion.com/1JZ-Single-MK3-IC-Kit-p/dm1071.htm

· Super Moderator
14,039 Posts
There isn't a kit made for the MK3 with a VVTi 1JZ in it. Get the version for the aftermarket single turbo and expect some custom work and massaging to get it installed.

Since it's a JZX110 engine, also be mindful of the front sump oil pan assembly that has to get swapped out to a rear sump pan assembly. I'd also double check the part number on your ECU to verify it doesn't have a factory immobilizer key, as that will make its use in an engine swap impossible.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you! I am aware of the sump issue and I’ve already got the rear sump kit in my cart from drift motion but I was trying to see what I needed before I ordered it. Also my ECU does have an immobilizer on it so I will be swapping to a Maxx street ECU

· Super Moderator
14,039 Posts
Make sure you've got a tuner lined up that's willing to work with the MaxxECU. Personally I think there's a ton of better options here in the US and I'm saying that having worked with MaxxECU directly ~6-7 years ago to start bringing them into the US.
Support from them is hot garbage, and their feature sets aren't very competitive compared to current offerings from ECUMaster, Link, Haltech, Motec, Syvecs etc.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m definitely still looking around but I have a great friend who can get them for a fair price and has been tuning them for a very long time. Thank you for letting me know, I’ll check those ones out too!

· Registered
155 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, looking at the Driftmotion one, but there actually is a kit made for stock single turbo Jzx100/110 into a MK3 but it is CX Racing which most people here have negative thoughts on, from the threads I've dug up.
I have it on mine. You have to trim/ thin out the bracket in front of the radiator support, since the intercooler is too thick. If you mount the pipes below the underbody plastic, it interferes with the lower hose and the intercooler sits low.
If you trim the underbody plastic, it should fit over the lower rad hose and the intercooler sits higher. I can take pictures later today.

If I knew how to weld or had a welder, I would make one rather, since it would be cheaper and you could get a decent intercooler instead.

· Registered
487 Posts
Get yourself a mitsimoto ic or something like that and custom piping is best route.I bought a blitz jza70 specific intercooler kit back in the day.it lasted one year before I was doing full t4 single turbo swap and cutting the hot side piping up to make it work. Following year I changed the path of the cold side through the battery tray to get it away from the radiator. Even though the kit was sweet and nice thick piping, I had to cut it up and have it rewelded. In the long run I would have been better off full custom.
see if you can find a stock jza70 intercooler with piping and just manipulate the hot side. It would be good enough for that stock turbo limits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.