Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
Losing weight from the rotating assembly will always mean it takes less hp to get it spinning. The problem is the reduction in driveability. If you're a bolt-on type of person at the moment, a light weight flywheel is far beyond what you're looking for, and is not a cheap and simple mod, and will NOT give you lots of free power. You'd be better off turning your boost up a couple psi.

If you're a serious engine builder after every free hp, then go with a lightened flywheel.

I've run light weight flywheels and lightened stock flywheels. If you go too light, you kill the driveability and it's not fun to drive anywhere but on a track.

Do you go faster? Yes... a very small bit. Is it worth it? Not always. I probably won't ever put a lightened flywheel on another of my daily drivers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well what is the stock flywheel weight?

we are going to be adding a full 3" from the turbo back. and we will be adding hard pipes with a new intercooler, and thats about it for now, but i will have about 10 psi on the turbo.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
stop and go traffic would suck...

also if it's a drag car, the harsh clutches tend to weld themselves to light weight flywheels...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
light weight flywheel is easier to stop, thus you'll stall out easier

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
If I remember correctly, the stock flywheel weighs 18 pounds.

I can tell you from experiece that #1. A light weight flywheel on a supra does make the car feel a little more responsive at low RPM. #2. It does not effect drivability in any negative ways. #3. It won't make launching the car at the track any harder. #4. It will weld its self to a HPF clutch.

·
Registered
308 Posts
lol @ experience from #4

anyway, i have an rps 11lbs. flywheel on my supra and it is, or actually was my DD till it started knocking... but anyway, it just feels more responsive and i dont see how it would affect drivability. maybe its because i first learned how to drive stick with this car, but i actually like driving with a lightened flywheel. if anything, it just made me downshift easier with it being so responsive.
i drive my brother's e46 330i from time to time and i have trouble shifting smoothly since i was so used to the feel of a light weight flywheel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts