Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about the stock turbos on the supras and if they
can be retro-fitted to work on other cars besides the supras.
I am asking this because a buddy of mine will be upgrading his stock turbos next year and I would like to put his old ones on my Trans Am.

Thanks,

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Zepher WS6 said:
Just wondering about the stock turbos on the supras and if they
can be retro-fitted to work on other cars besides the supras.
I am asking this because a buddy of mine will be upgrading his stock turbos next year and I would like to put his old ones on my Trans Am.
Installing a turbo just requires a manifold... twin sequential turbos are another story, and if you expect to use some off of a Supra it's not going to be "plug and play"...

I'd go on MkIV.com and do a little reading in the 93 new features book to understand how the turbos come online... especially #2. From there you'll develop an understanding for the relative complexity of the setup...

...if I were you I'd go with just one turbo. Good luck.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
and nice car, my friends looks just like yours, except he still has the stock wheels.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
There's no reason to try to set them up to run in sequential mode. That just adds an order of magnitude in complexity. Just treat them like true twin turbos and the job would be a whole lot easier. In fact, here is a link to an IS200 with a 2JZ-GTE engine where they modified the twin turbos beyond the simple mods we do for true twin operation (e.g. actually separated the stock manifold): http://www.turbofast.com.au/lexus.html

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Good point... they had some pretty good fabrication going on there though, Jim...

Regardless, he's not going to just be able to slap those on... and he has a V8, right? ...means that you'll either want a turbo on either side of the engine or some serious fabricating, or just one turbo...

So, you'll need to fab a manifold or two and go from there... right?

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Zepher WS6 said:
Thanks,
and nice car, my friends looks just like yours, except he still has the stock wheels.
Thanks very much. :) I appreciate the compliment.

I really like how the car looks with 18s, a drop, and stock. Very sharp IMO.

Let me know if you need any help getting hooked up with some engine diagrams and whatnot. It looks like mkiv.com has been nuked again, so I can just fax you some diagrams from the TSRM (toyota service and repair manual) if you want 'em to start working out how you might do it, etc.

What were you planning on for additional fuel (I didn't look real close at your mods so you may already have a RRFPR or something)...?

Dude... the Firebird's workin' well for you: http://www.blackbird.cz28.com/joy.htm

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'd really like to take a look at those engine diagrams.
Right now I am just running an external inline Holley fuel pump.
I will be adding an AFPR as well as a secondary fuel pump.
The twin turbo project will be started in about a year or two, I want to learn as much as possible before I start building the motor and turbo setup. This will allow me to save money and gather all the parts so that I'll run into less problems while I do the project.

Yeah, Joy is a hottie, really cute.
I had to move my site to another domain since I had so much traffic in the last 3 weeks.
Our Trans Am Club Website, www.ttac.net , was listed in Pontiac High Performance Magazine and my car happened to be car of the month on our clubs site, just had too many hits.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't want stock Supra turbos. They were designed for a 3L motor. You have a 350 (5.7L). Look into a pair of stock Grand National turbos. They will be easier to adapt and more suited to the applicaiton (not to mention pretty cheap). Try www.turbobuick.com for buying used turbos.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You've got to match the turbo to the engine for maximum benifits. Decide when you want power, and calculate the turbo you want based upon compressor maps and such. If you don't know how, Cork Bell's book Maximum Boost seems to do a good job explaining it.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input.
I'll look into those two resources.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts