Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stock alternator w/twin electric fans, twin fuel pumps, gauges, etc.

I have noticed that right after I installed duel electric fans my alternater died. I have been watching my volts with the volt meter on the greddy turbo timer. When I am at idle, the car will read 11.7 or less.....which means it's draining. At a normal cruise rpm, the volt meter will read 12.9 or so. I have had my Supra for a year or so and I don't have any service records so I don't know if my alternator has been changed out or not.
I am hoping the the stock alternater can handle electric fans, guauges, duel fuel pumps, etc. I am thinking that my alternator was on its last leg anyway. Powerhouse racing sells an alternator that pumps out 175 amps instead of the stock 100amps(auto) and 90 amps (6spd), but it is a little out of my budget. (700)
Should I replace it with the cheaper "replica" from discount auto parts? or should I get another toyota one.
Any advice? thanks ahead of time.

Troy

W

·
0 Posts
You sure your alternator is dying? It probably isn't. Electric fans and other heavy drains just sap too much power. An upgraded alternator, going back to stock fan, or getting a deep cycle battery and a charger are your options.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If I remember right those fans can pull almost 30 amps and if you are using mkiv pumps, they can pull close to 20 amps each. You really need more than a 90 amp alternator. That was the main reason I didn't buy the fans. They suck too much power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts