Supra Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
^^^ you also seem to know what your talking about...hopefully flightz71 will chime in here and give some more input...

I know there has to be a way to do this...these things are so advanced that i dont believe that there isnt a way to program this..

thanks again..
Anyone else have any info on this subject please let us know...this is killing me and its is the only thing holding me back from buying this head unit, but to me its a very big deal...i dont want to be driving an RC car around town
I think almost any double-DIN head unit will fit just fine without any modifications. If your head unit comes with an optional bezel, which many do, you just won't use it. You may want to look for units that have programmable button color schemes if you want to match the factory Supra green. (edited to add: or if you're mostly a full touchscreen with few buttons, you may want one that lets you upload your own custom background image)

Many of the Kenwood units also have separate control wires for the amp turn-on and the power antenna control. If you want to be certain, you can go to the Kenwood website and download the complete manuals for their systems. I suspect other vendors may also allow you to download their manuals before purchase. It's a good idea to try to read the manual if possible before purchase anyway.

The speakers may be the most problematic if you're not wanting to make changes. Crutchfield should be able to help you, but do notice the difference when they say "fits" versus "fits with modification". Generally it is the screw-hole pattern that may not match; there seems to be speakers with 3-holes and some with 4-holes. You can make either fit with a bit of work, and look good, but getting the right one to start may be easier. In my '97, factory fronts are 3-hole while the factory rears are 4-hole. Also the wires to my rear speakers were soldered, but it is easy to crimp standard push blade-connectors on them. You can inspect the rear speakers easily by just popping off the grill cover; but you'll have to take the door panel off to get the the fronts as the grill covers are permanently attached to the door panel.

If you're replacing the subwoofer, some of them are just a bit deeper and will bottom out in the cavity, necessitating the use of spacers - which may interfere with the subwoofer cover. I understand that the tweeters are fairly hard to replace, so I just left them.

Also, the GPS antenna should work under the dash, though it may be ever so slightly less sensitive. Basically it just needs a clear line-of-sight to the sky - without any intervening metal. The windshield glass and thin plastic/foam of the dashboard surface won't block the signals, much. My Kenwood receiver is so sensitive it can even get a signal inside my garage, I guess through the side windows. Also, you can put the GPS antenna elsewhere too, like in the trunk area.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not sure what the adapter is called, it's something like GM6 to GM mini adapter. I got mine at an Autozone. It should be at any major electronics or autoparts store. I live just outside Los Angeles around 25 miles away and I get decent reception just using the secondary antenna, it does break up often but I can deal with it. In Los Angeles, perfect reception. Beyond 30 miles, I get nothing but static. I completely disconnected and disabled the motor for my main antenna. Planning to shave it

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
^^ yea for me shaving is not an option...neither is the RC car look so im stuck in the middle trying to decide on a head unit that i found that does every possible thing i want it to do but control the antenna correctly...
dmeranda..thanks for the info..i replaced the speakers in the front door with some boston acoustic 4 inchers that went right in with ease...they arent the fanciest of speakers but anything is better then the stock crackling ones that were loose so i had a small rattle in my door that is fixed now...they were easy to get in and ive had my door panels off a few times before...i timed myself and it took me 1:45 secs to get my door panel completely off. And i have all the factory screws and clips still so i didnt cheat:hahano:
i plan on doing the rear seat speakers soon since they will take only a few mins to install..

the only other head unit that i like for this car is the new Clarion unit...its got everything i need including the 2 antenna wires, but it doesnt have SD car slots which is a requirement

·
Registered
565 Posts
I mounted the GPS antenna under the dash on duct just behind the clock location. Works great.
My pioneer originally did not control the antenna properly when connected to the factory 21 pin (or so) harness. It would only go up when radio was selected, but would not retract until the unit was powered off. I have since removed the 21 (or so) pin harness that ran to the factory amp, and connected into the 15 pin (or so) harness. Now it works perfectly, down with everything but radio, retracts with everything selected but radio. No more RC car look for me, unless listening to the radio. :)
I'm really confused as to how swapping pins in the OEM harness changed how the antenna operated when switching functions on the radio.

Due to the fact that the pioneer head unit only has 1 wire (blue/white) to control both power antenna and amplifier turn on, whether the head unit has radio selected or another source will have NO effect on on the output of this one wire, and in return always have this wire output +12V. In other words, if you pick CD, radio, xm, iPod... blah blah... nothing coming out of the headunit changes, and therefore antenna is out of your control.

For the OP: how to lower and raise the antenna is to supply the antenna wire on the toyota side +12V for it to be up, 0V for it to be down. If the head unit cannot do this, nothing else can unless you manually install a switch in between to force the connection to break when wanted.

I will need sparkboy to elaborate on his system as to my knowledge, there is no way short of utilizing a switch if the same wire controls power antenna and amp from your HU.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
looks like ill be leaving my antenna wire disconnected then and it will stay down forever unless sparkboy has the answers..lol..

now that i think about it i never even listen to the fm radio anyway ... once i got sirius radio from the factory in my daily driver i havent listened to fm radio since like 2 yrs ago...when i hear commercials now i get confused and dont know whats happening..
but still open for suggestions...since im so anal i know that leaving the wire disconnected is going to bother me..

one other thing i am thinking about is how to bypass the stupid ebrake switch so i can have full function of the head unit and dvd etc etc while im driving...if this is easy to do i am just going to install this unit myself and save some cash...if its alot of wiring and bs ill just pay the shop to do it so i dont have any worries..

thanks
Anthony

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
I'm really confused as to how swapping pins in the OEM harness changed how the antenna operated when switching functions on the radio.

Due to the fact that the pioneer head unit only has 1 wire (blue/white) to control both power antenna and amplifier turn on, whether the head unit has radio selected or another source will have NO effect on on the output of this one wire, and in return always have this wire output +12V. In other words, if you pick CD, radio, xm, iPod... blah blah... nothing coming out of the head unit changes, and therefore antenna is out of your control.

For the OP: how to lower and raise the antenna is to supply the antenna wire on the Toyota side +12V for it to be up, 0V for it to be down. If the head unit cannot do this, nothing else can unless you manually install a switch in between to force the connection to break when wanted.

I will need sparkboy to elaborate on his system as to my knowledge, there is no way short of utilizing a switch if the same wire controls power antenna and amp from your HU.
Flightz, My Pioneer does have two wires, a blue/white for remote turn on and a blue for antenna... Originally I connected the blue (antenna) wire to the 15 pin (R6) harness that connects to the factory radio .. The antenna did not work properly, it would go up with radio, but never retract until powered off and I was going to install a switch as you discussed. I decided, with the help of a friend to look at the supra wiring diagram. For some reason Toyota ran the antenna wire down into the factory amp and back up to the IH1 (10 pin) connector just to the right of the radio. I believe this loop to the amp somehow causes a problem for aftermarket stereos. This IH1 connector also provides the power, ACC and panel lights to the factory amp and stereo. When I connected the blue (antenna) wire to the IH1 connector using an old 10 pin Toyota '87 and newer stereo integration harness, it worked.. Just my .02

·
Registered
565 Posts
looks like ill be leaving my antenna wire disconnected then and it will stay down forever unless sparkboy has the answers..lol..

now that i think about it i never even listen to the fm radio anyway ... once i got sirius radio from the factory in my daily driver i havent listened to fm radio since like 2 yrs ago...when i hear commercials now i get confused and dont know whats happening..
but still open for suggestions...since im so anal i know that leaving the wire disconnected is going to bother me..

one other thing i am thinking about is how to bypass the stupid ebrake switch so i can have full function of the head unit and dvd etc etc while im driving...if this is easy to do i am just going to install this unit myself and save some cash...if its alot of wiring and bs ill just pay the shop to do it so i dont have any worries..

thanks
Anthony
Anthony

If anything, do you like stubby antennas? I got a group buy going for ones made by lo custom. The reception is a lot weaker than the factory mast but I used a inline powered antenna booster to help compensate. No more ugly antenna radio on or off, and reception is about 70-80% of factory. Looks really clean and OEM (I am ALL about clean and OEM look... I'm sure sparkboy can agree here lol) Below is a pic of my car...

Also e-brake bypass is super easy on pioneer units... it just requires you to utilize a unused pin slot on one of the harness, and tie it to the e-brake wire+ground for bypass. Alpine headunits required a aftermarket logic control module (such as a PAC TR-7) wired in (really simple, 4 wires, had this on my BMW M3 with a Alpine headunit) to bypass.

Hope this helps!

-Calvin

·
Registered
565 Posts
Flightz, My Pioneer does have two wires, a blue/white for remote turn on and a blue for antenna... Originally I connected the blue (antenna) wire to the 15 pin (R6) harness that connects to the factory radio .. The antenna did not work properly, it would go up with radio, but never retract until powered off and I was going to install a switch as you discussed. I decided, with the help of a friend to look at the supra wiring diagram. For some reason Toyota ran the antenna wire down into the factory amp and back up to the IH1 (10 pin) connector just to the right of the radio. I believe this loop to the amp somehow causes a problem for aftermarket stereos. This IH1 connector also provides the power, ACC and panel lights to the factory amp and stereo. When I connected the blue (antenna) wire to the IH1 connector using an old 10 pin Toyota '87 and newer stereo integration harness, it worked.. Just my .02
Completely makes sense now bud... yah 2 wires is a must (blue and blue/white) for antenna to work. Very very interesting regarding how the factory radio harness didn't work before. After doing my stereo I did notice without the factory amp the factory harness didn't work anymore (no power, acc, panel lights etc). So this is all located on the IH1 harness? I already bought the wiring harness for the factory radio connector and have my entire pioneer harness soldered in already so fuk it I guess... lol... I'll just leave the factory amp plugged under the seat (none of the factory speaker connectors are connected anymore though as I have new wiring run throughout the entire car like yourself... I did it when I deadened the car following your thread)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
^^^^^ what did you do that your lights etc etc didnt work...
I dont want this to happen

also about the stubby antennas..they arent bad...i had a brand new celica waaay back in 2001 and the first mod (if u wanna call it that) i did was change out the antenna to a stock S2000 unit that screwed right in..

Im still not sure tho...i need to think of something....

Does anyone know if the radio will not function properly besides the fact that i wont get any fm recemtion, if i dont plug in thr antenna wire??

Anthony

·
Registered
565 Posts
^^^^^ what did you do that your lights etc etc didnt work...
I dont want this to happen

also about the stubby antennas..they arent bad...i had a brand new celica waaay back in 2001 and the first mod (if u wanna call it that) i did was change out the antenna to a stock S2000 unit that screwed right in..

Im still not sure tho...i need to think of something....

Does anyone know if the radio will not function properly besides the fact that i wont get any fm recemtion, if i dont plug in thr antenna wire??

Anthony
You need to leave your stock amp in if you want to utilize the factory 15-pin radio harness instead of the 10-pin IH1 harness according to sparkboy (i'm guessing the IH1 feeds the amp, which in return feeds back through the 15-pin radio harness. If you eliminate factory amp no signals will come to the 15-pin harness anymore.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
You need to leave your stock amp in if you want to utilize the factory 15-pin radio harness instead of the 10-pin IH1 harness according to sparkboy (i'm guessing the IH1 feeds the amp, which in return feeds back through the 15-pin radio harness. If you eliminate factory amp no signals will come to the 15-pin harness anymore.
Yes, I believe you are correct sir....

·
Never fast enough
716 Posts
i just installed a dnx6160 into my supra. i have the antenna mounted on the hatch right about the window washer along with the sat radio antenna. the unit fits great but it does stick out a little. im going to modifiy the stock bracket so the radio sits flush with the dash.
i am also using the small of the two antenna since my factory rc antenna broke. signal is a little weaker but i mainly listen to sat radio

update. fixed the radio

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I have the same prob with my unit sticking out. Your's looks great now. Can you give some directions on how you got it snug? Easy or difficult/
Thanks

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
nice old thread revival....just an update for me...i still havent bought a new head unit im still using the factory one and its def on its last leg..i gotta do sumthing quick

21 - 35 of 35 Posts